Really struggling with my landscapes - a few from me from yesterday

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by tryingtimes, May 4, 2007.

1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hi all
    Here's a few from me from yesterday.
    I'm really struggling with the bright conditions and I haven't had chance to be out early or late. I'm unhappy with the off-camera results.

To compensate I'm having to merge exposures in photoshop and I'm never really happy with the results. They never convey the softness that was present at the time - to restore some atmos, I tend to darken them - maybe it's not the right thing to do - dunno, advice welcome.

Anyway - there was a cute lamb too and I think I did better with that.
    c&c very welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't know which I prefer out of these two - maybe the first.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    The second shot would be extremely dificult to get the metering right anyway as you appear to be in shade with bright light in the background, the only real way to sort this would be to maybe shoot 3 or 6 exposures and merge them HDR stylee.

You are setting yourself a touch challenge shooting in those conditions.

#3 is fine, reasonably composed but it's generally nicer if the subject has space to walk 'into' rather than walking 'out of' the image. The eye contact is good though i'm not convinced about the ange the shot was taken at, it all looks a bit unnatural to me especially the slanting trees in the background.

3. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Really like the first one. It's a great composition, and is quite nice just as it is.

It's going to be virtually impossible to get good results on a shot like this straight out of camera. The camera just doesn't have the range to capture sky detail and detail in the trees and foreground.

It looks like you've done a good job in blending 2 exposures in photoshop, but I'd be tempted to go a little further, bringing out more detail in the foreground and trees. Did you have the camera on a tripod? Did you shoot RAW? You should be able to do some very accurate HDR if you did.

Not sure whats going on in the last shot :rolleyes:

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Thanks for the "walking into" tip - I'll remember that.
    The angle of the trees was one of the reasons I thought it was interesting (the camera was vertical and the nearest tree was one of only a couple which were standing vertical), but I guess without a frame of reference (horizon/more trees) it just looks odd.

ok - so at least it's not just me. That's a relief. I guess I see other photos like this and really like them, but they are probably using HDR or have early morning/late evening light.

No tripod. I was just using 1 RAW file and converting it twice (different exposures). I did get more bark detail, but then the darkening I did lost some of it again. In general I still feel a bit heavy-handed when it comes to photos in photoshop.
    The sky was blown no matter what exposure setting I chose in Adobe Camera Raw. (as opposed to the first photo).

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Like 3 and 4
    Apart from the "walking in tip" in no 3 did you tink of correcting it to the horizontal?
    Not too sure of 5
    With nos #1 and 2 just to reiterate what has been said aboves
    You shot RAW
    used the lowest ISO
    Under expose by one stop or Use even use AEB

have a Play with the Exposure modes

I suspect you did some of that so I wouldn't worry to much how they turned out of camera
    We've all been there a few times and can relate to tough exposure ranges

The images are in the main lovely

As usual, thanks for sharing

6. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    They are nice photos.

I would just say what had already been suggested really. Bracket the shots. Maybe consider a grad filter to darken sky allowing you to expose foreground.

Download EasyHDR and have a play. You can often get good results that still look believeable

7. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Clearly nobody believes me that it was horizontal - I can see I'll have to revisit and show that the trees really do grow like that :)
    Anyway - I can understand that it looks odd.

8. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Shooting into the sun is always really tricky. Try with the sun to the side or over your shoulder. Get a graduated filter to darken the sky as well. You do need to be v.early or v.late in the day to get warmth in the colours, especially the tree trunks which are often shaded by the canopy above if the sun is too high.

Above all, keep trying!

9. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Number 2 is a tricky one, it depends on what you were trying to acheive. You have so much contrast between the shadows and sky, you will either burn out the sky or lose detail in the shadows ( as you have found) Sometimes its good to get burnt out detail, sometimes a little fill in flash would be all you needed.
    If all else fails, and I noticed you shot in raw, you could try photoshop. Theres lots of ways to enhance pics, I use curves after converting to Lab colour, then back to RGB. Its a fantastic tool when you get used to it. Nikon Capture is good too. I fiddled with your tree shot in Capture to retreive some detail and hopefully get some atmosphere back.
    http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n145/ajrmacdonald/trees.jpg

Allan

10. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Thanks Bibamus. I guess I should go through more photoshop tutorials - there's plenty online and with some of the magazines out there.

11. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I got The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers ( KELBY) and Photoshop Lab Color ( Margulis).
    Both invaluable books, but heavy going sometimes. Best not to read through them the first time ( and then some) but dip in and out when the mood takes. Curves is just superb when used correctly.

Allan

12. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    The first one is in my local library, so I'll try and pick it up. Thanks.