Really struggling to find the right cabinet

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by Khazul, Oct 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    I have been looking for a TV stand/cabinet and am really struggling to find exactly what I am looking for.

Width 150 cm absolute maximum (even that is getting too clear to floorstanding speakers), 140cm is probably ideal, height 40-45cm, depth 45-50cm. Black wood or piano gloss finish, dark glass doors, but ideally not with a thick opaque border on the glass.

Ideally it would be 3 zone horizontally as follows:
    Open central section at least 500mm width and with a top shelf of at least 230mm height (for my center speaker - 200mm for speaker and room to use some accoustic foam to tilt up a little).
    Left and Right sections with IR friendly smoke glass doors (to keep dust off), and ideally adjustable shelves. These need to be at least 440mm wide (full size AV receiver), and shelf adjustable to accommodate approx 280-320mm height (AV receiver with some air space above it).

It should also be on hidden casters (or otherwise easy to move on a wooden floor) to make it easy to move for connection, hoover behind etc.

Additionally, I have a fire tv, apple tv, logitech harmony hub and a DVD/BD player, but they are all easy to accommodate in left over space.

I will be putting a 60"-65" TV on top of it and I would like to keep the screen center reasonably low for a comfortable viewing angle from sofa.

I don't mind spending a few hundred quid if I really really have to, but obviously prefer not to :)

I'm even looking at completely open cabinets as well that I might be able to find separate matching dark glass doors from elsewhere - ie can tolerate some 'hacking' if needed, but I am not equipped for proper wood working.

A possible alternative is lower (overall height) profile and maybe a built in TV stand that can raise the bottom of the TV to about 230mm from the table-top to accommodate the center speaker on top of it below the TV, or I could probably get a separate suitable table-top pedestal stand.

I did find a nearly suitable 140cm width unit, but oddly it has non-symetrical lkayout

Has any come across something similar?

Thanks all :)

2. SWAVGuy

SWAVGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Same here, I went for a ikea besta cabinet to fit my marantz 7011 and centre speaker

3. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Isnt that Marantz AVR deeper than the cabinet?

4. SWAVGuy

SWAVGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    A wee bit, I'm going to cut the back out a bit where it sits

5. DarkEntity

DarkEntity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Alphason do some modular units, might be worth a look.

6. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Yes, I was looking at the 1250 until I realized the AV receiver probably will not fit even with a shelf removed. I think internal height is only 230mm.

Element Modular

7. DarkEntity

DarkEntity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Ive got 2 Element units, the 1250 and the smaller 850. The only issue I had was my Silverstone LC20B case was slightly too deep for the 850 so had to remove the backing. My Yamaha Amp fits no problem in the 1250

8. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Which amp do you have?

My AVR is the Yamaha RX-V781 which is 234mm high - looking at the measurements diagram it looks like the AV compartments without a shelf are only 230mm and TBH I would prefer to have a few cm air gap above it for ventilation. The width is fine and depth looks OK.

9. DarkEntity

DarkEntity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Ive got the RX-V681, dimensions from Yamaha site.

Yamaha RX-V681
    Wide 435 mm
    Height 171 mm
    Depth 378 mm

Yamaha RX-V781
    Wide 435 mm
    Height 171 mm
    Depth 379 mm

I would measure your receiver, and remember this is the box size not the size with WIFI antenna out. (mine is wired). Ive removed the glass shelf from the receiver side and its got clearance on both sides and easy clearance on the top.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  10. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Of course! - I was just dumbly looking at the size in specs part of manual, so looks like this will do nicely then - thanks for being persistent :)

I must admit every time I looked at it or wrote it down I keep thinking really? its that fat? ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  11. Hixs

Hixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    I've been looking for the perfect tv unit for well over a year now! Such a thing doesn't seem to exist..

This seems to be the best compromise I feel - Erard Bilt 1400 Colonne Meubles avec support - Son-Vidéo.com

Have the center on top, shelf to the left amp/xbox and shelf tot he right bluray and Humax box. Not IR friendly glass though, so a repeater would be required.

edit * bit the bullet and ordered.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  12. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    At this point in the hunt I'm getting annoyed to enough to be more interested in hunting down the complete idiots who design cabinets than having any hope of finding what surely must be a commonly desired cabinet size and shape for people with an AV receiver, speakers (including center), BD player and maybe some other bits (STBs, maybe another amp or something).

I mean what the hell is wrong with 3 columns, with the end columns having internal space of about 440-450 with glass doors, the middle having about 500-550mm x 180-200mm top area with maybe a bottom drawer or open and adjustable glass shelves in the AV cabinets?

And whats with all the solid doors these days? I guess they eventually realised this was stupid, so they over engineer it a bit more to add IR repeaters and hike the price etc, but that still doesn't help with the basic use case of I want to still see the display on my AVR (very useful if you want to adjust something when audio only, or TV is on ARC mode, so is not displaying the AVR - I guess that's beyond them as well).

Instead there loads with 3 columns with overly wide space for AV devices and no room for a speaker because some idiot made the middle too narrow. What on earth did these so called cabinet designers think people were using these for in an AV context? Do that many people really have 6 x AV amp / BD size items to stick in there? (I know some people do with AVR pre-amp and multiple amps etc, but that is probably the same people with a huge custom AV rack hidden somewhere.).

The nearest I can find is something from BDI that costs nearly 2000 quid, but its too wide never mind way over engineered and hence stupidly expensive.

If anyone here works for a cabinet company - shame on you - really? - what the hell were you thinking?

/rant...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  13. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Stump Furniture

Stuart will be able to craft you something to your specs & it doesn’t have to cost the earth.

14. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Thanks - might see what they can do.

On their front page I see this 003 Glass fronted AV unit - Stump Furniture

This should be the default design style for ALL cabinets intended to hold a proper AVR. If someone stocked that in black but a bit lower profile then that would be what I need.

Oh - just seen price for that - 1800 - Ouch!

15. parman

parman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Been trying to find a unit for myself.... similar requirements.. have u got any updates from last post that might also help me out

16. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    No - I'm looking at doing a self build - in another thread.

17. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,653
    That's a really, really nice unit, do you mind if I ask a couple of questions?

It looks like the doors are slotted/perforated, would this allow an IR signal through or is a repeater necessary?

How much was shipping from France?

18. Hixs

Hixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    I didn't get it in the end. They were complications after ordering. For some odd reason they want a pic of your address and passport for their records (apparently they do this for all new customers), but even after that, that wasn't good enough because I'm not French..

Anyways it isn't IR friendly glass as far as I'm aware. I was just going to get a repeater off Amazon. Shipping, no idea. I live in France so shipping was free.

You could prob pick up in the UK. They have it really cheap though, most other sites want 450 for it.

19. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I had a very similar problem trying to find a large AV Rack for my distributed system.

Everyone that sells domestic grade racks (i.e. ones that are made of wood and don't look out if place in a bedroom / living room) all want absurd amounts of money for them.

The best I found was Operation: Bodge It 'Til Ya Built It"]Error Diagnostic Page

Nate

20. ash23t

ash23t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Why not make one? If woodwork skills are basic, just screw together, use wood filler and paint it a nice colour.

21. TimC

TimC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I spent a long time looking for cabinets for AV equipment and storage with some eye watering prices in some.

Eventually came across a thread here that used Ikea Besta range and ended up making my own for a fraction of the cost. Even made a centre compartment for the speaker with speaker cloth from amazon. I did have to cut out a section of the back with a Stanley knife for my amp as it was longer than the cabinet was deep. All helps with ventilation though. Even has shelf for the plugs etc to make it neat and flush(ish) to the wall.

They come in various heights depending on your needs.

Looks really good with its glass top and very easy to build but you could get really imaginative with the colour options available. My wife just wanted white.
    I’m really pleased with it (in case you couldn’t tell)

22. TimC

TimC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    IMG_0393.jpg