Really struggling to chose a 65 inch tv

whitwori

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have Been saving money for a while and getting more for Christmas with the intention to buy one just after.

I have a budget of around £1,500 to purchase at a push.

i have been looking at the Philips PUS9435 which is £1,099 at RS. I particularly like the fact it has Ambilight and a sound bar but I am u sure if the picture is Good enough.

if a tv has good sound then I could lose the sound bar and could add Philips gradient light strip and hub at £400, leaving around £1,100 for the tv.

my struggle is Philips 9435 or light strip and another tv?

any help or advice would really help..

Sony xh9505 65” was £1299 maybe still is. Probably the best lcd tv on the market at the moment IMO. I know it does not have your ambilight presence though.

Thanks for the
Sony xh9505 65” was £1299 maybe still is. Probably the best lcd tv on the market at the moment IMO. I know it does not have your ambilight presence though.

cheers mate had not seen this model although was looking at XH90.
I have come across Govee lights which seem to be considerably cheaper so will look further into them

We got a samsung 50 inch. Pretty happy with it.

If I was buying again I'd get either a samsung or a sony.

We got a samsung 50 inch. Pretty happy with it.

If I was buying again I'd get either a samsung or a sony.

I have a Samsung TU8500 currently sitting where my new tv is going. Great tv but even at 50 inch looks small on the wall. I want something big and different. @jbecks suggestion on the xh9505 looks very nice and with the cheaper lights I’ve found could But a major contender.

I have a Samsung TU8500 currently sitting where my new tv is going. Great tv but even at 50 inch looks small on the wall. I want something big and different. @jbecks suggestion on the xh9505 looks very nice and with the cheaper lights I’ve found could But a major contender.

As they say WhitWori, Bigger is Better :) :)

LCD - Sony XH95

1500 is also enough for an OLED.

What will the TV be used for?

Well if you're not worried about HDMI 2.1 then the Sony XH95 is the best choice, or the XH90 if you want to save some money and gain HDMI 2.1.

XH95 should be around 1300
XH90 has been under 1k - though may have gone up again.

Well if you're not worried about HDMI 2.1 then the Sony XH95 is the best choice, or the XH90 if you want to save some money and gain HDMI 2.1.

XH95 should be around 1300
XH90 has been under 1k - though may have gone up again.

donyou know if there is much noticeable difference in viewing Xh90 v Xh95?

With "normal" TV there will be little in it.

With any HDR content, there will be a significant difference.

Those govee light strips are nothing like Philips Hue. I may be wrong, but I think they only sync colours on a monitor not a TV - and that usually means installing software.

To get a synchronised light, I believe you must buy the Philips Hue hdmi sync box (£230) plus either 2x playbars (£264 Curry's bundle with sync box) or buy the Hue Strip (£160).

The drawback is this light system only works with external HDMI devices. Meaning, if you use your TV's in-built apps (which are superior to Sky for example, like Netflix) the lights won't sync. That may or may not be a problem for you. I much prefer my Sony A8's native apps for picture quality. Some folks invest in a 4k Amazon stick or Google TV Chromecast, or the full steroids Nvidia Shield. I prefer less faff with a new TV and will perhaps move over to a dedicated device if updates slow down.

The sync box system is an expensive system and messy. If you really really want Philips Hue lights on your TV then stick with a Philips Ambilight OLED.

A third option is to only use white light - as Hollywood directors do (so we're told). Luminoodle 6500k white light strips are £30-40 with a remote, look cool and can be operated by remote. No fancy coloured lights though (which are frowned upon by enthusiasts).

I think lots of our TVs have been LG and we've been really impressed! The only thing is that I need to find a sound bar for the TV too because the thinner TVs struggle to reach full sound capacity without one.

Yamaha are the go-to brand on a budget. They also do some ridiculously priced ones as well if you're looking to spend 1k+.

Sonos Sound Beam gets a lot of love.

There's a soundbar sub-forum somewhere for more detailed replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom