Really slow PS3 download speed?

Stum1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls. First post here so hope this is in the correct forum.

I'm hoping someone else has had this problem/has any ideas! Anyway here goes!

When downloading updates etc on the PS3 the download speed is absolutely woeful.

To give you an idea I was trying to download the latest update for BF3 as it prompts you to do when trying to start the game up. The download started and the estimated time was reading over 4000 minutes. Even when trying to download a much smaller update the estimated time was 300+ minutes.

My PS3 already has a static IP and is in the DMZ on my router. I have also forwarded all necessary ports for the PSN.

Downloading films on my laptop is fine and I have a download speed of 5-6Meg.

I've tried all the usual turning router/PS3 on/off etc with no change. I've also recently changed ISP from O2 to Sky as O2 was feckin awful.

Anyone had the same problems? My PS3 is one of the old fat ones so is this just the PS3 beginning to die?

Cheers

I had problems with my PS3 and it was the PS3 at fault something either hardware or software side has(had) ****ed up so I dunno my ps3 is virtually on its last legs. I'm getting a slim at christmas

Possibly something you could ask O2 about? PSN uses a weird tcp port so your ISP could be assuming it's a p2p connection and throttling it.

Also, is your PS3 connected via wifi or via copper?

The thing with mine though it worked fine wired but ****ed up wireless so I don't think it was my ISP throttling

Fmrl said:
Possibly something you could ask O2 about? PSN uses a weird tcp port so your ISP could be assuming it's a p2p connection and throttling it.

Also, is your PS3 connected via wifi or via copper?

Connected via wireless will try hard wiring to router.

Mines the same,i get quite good dwnload speeds on my PC,or lappy,average about 800-1.7kbs.
I was downloading the DC universe online,my god,i think it was about 6-7gb,it took 3 days,yup,3 days.
Ive got the ps3 wired up,and my pc wireless,in the loft,with the router in the living room,its only a cheapo Dlink dongle,but for films etc,works really well,getting 10mb from vigin.
I didnt do it all in one go,but a few hours each time,once overnight,thinking about it.
I thought that download speeds had nothing to with hard ware,just your connection....baffles me.

Both software and hardware work as a team xD if your hardware is ****ed then your software is useless if your software is ****ed then your hardware is useless xD

I have a 37Mb DL and 8Mb UP and on my ps3 it was like less than 1Mb for both at one point haha and my laptop and pc were fine xD

PSN is awful tonight. Trying to download the Starhawk bea on my 10mb wired and its awful.

It's not even loading friends display pictures.

I have a 37Mb DL and 8Mb UP

8Mb up ?! Who are you with, that's really good!

You guys do realise that the PS3's wi-fi connection is rubbish ?! It's only "g" and doesn't even perform anywhere near the max for that specification!

When I hard-wire mine I get blindingly fast speeds, pretty close to my max, unless there's some issue with PSN etc.

8Mb up ?! Who are you with, that's really good!

You guys do realise that the PS3's wi-fi connection is rubbish ?! It's only "g" and doesn't even perform anywhere near the max for that specification!

When I hard-wire mine I get blindingly fast speeds, pretty close to my max, unless there's some issue with PSN etc.

BT Infinity and yeah I know the PS3 is G and my router is N so that doesn't help but its fine now anyway I get like 15Mb DL and 4Mb UP to the ps3 its not bad but it isn't good :D

It is just the speeds from the PS3 network settings

my old phat ps3 had the same problem. that was wireless but right next to the router. The slim I have upstairs was faster downloading and i've got really thick walls in the house. ended up trading it in for another slim which is a lot faster.

my old phat ps3 had the same problem. that was wireless but right next to the router. The slim I have upstairs was faster downloading and i've got really thick walls in the house. ended up trading it in for another slim which is a lot faster.

Got a slim It is just wrapped up :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom