1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really, really strange YAMAHA 630 problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HomeyJay, Jun 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. HomeyJay

HomeyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK, I know this is going to sound crazy but my 630 has for the past 6 months or so switching itself on. It can happen at any time with no warning at all. I used to find it pretty amusing but it's getting rather wierd as it's now switching itself on in the middle of the night when everyone's asleep (scares the cr*p out of us all !! ) or when we're just sitting around talking. We used to blame the kids at first but they are not to blame!

Has anyone come across this problem ? I asked Richer Sounds (where I bought it from) and they said that they'd heard of the 630's switching themselves off but never on.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask before I called in Most Haunted !

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Are you leaving it in Standby Mode? If so, just physically switch it OFF instead.

If it still does it, then it sounds like your house might indeed be haunted! :eek: :D

3. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Do you leave a energy efficient light bulb on in the room with it by any chance? Because these bulbs seem to give out alot of energy in the IR region and it may be that it is just randomly receiving the right sequence to turn it on. The only other time I have seen this was a unit that faced a window and it would turn itself on sometimes in the morning at dawn. It was the same thing but the IR was from the sunrise.

Other than that it may just be faulty. To check you could tape something over the IR reciever and see if it still does it.

hope this helps.

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have one of your neighbours got a yamaha?

5. HomeyJay

HomeyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I leave the unit on standby - as outlined in the manual.
    Don't have any energy efficient lightbulbs anywhere near the living room.
    Nearest neighbour is 1/4 mile away and has no AV stuff at all !

The problem is the thing is so unpredictable. If I take it back to the dealer, I know the damn thing's going to behave itself perfectly and make me look like an idiot!

The Yam came on last night at around 3.30, some stuff on Sky 1 and it was pretty loud. Woke up the whole house, kids and all, so I used the opportunity to nip out to Tesco to buy the Harry Potter book for the little ones!
    It doesn't usually have a happy ending like this - kids don't go back to sleep for hours if at all.

A real pain in the butt!

Ravi

6. SPYTHON

SPYTHON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could be your power supply (your mains supply, not the one in the amp) - if you get spikes or drops it could be turning the amp on, my pioneer 626d does the same if left in standby mode and we get a hickup in the mains power supply............

:smashin: