Really quick tivo question

D

Duncan Craig

Hi All.

A quick question.
Using the tivo without the subscription, is it compatible with video plus?

Can't get an answer anywhere...

Thanx

TiVo ain't compatible with owt without the subscription.

There's no point buying a TiVo if you aren't going to subscribe. Videoplus doesn't compare.

I thought Tivo will work as a basic recorder without a subscription,
isn't this correct?

If so why can it not use video plus, and PDC, seeing as my crappy VHS can.

I really am interested in getting the subscription in the future, but until the Freeview launch has happened and the new range of PVRs are around I am saving my money. The new system may have a great EPG included with it, maybe.

I do understand what the Tivo can do, really. But I'm just after an extra recorder, as an interim, and the Tivo is going really cheap now...!

The subscription only lasts as long as the unit does, it could fail, Tivo could pull out of the U.K. etc. and the lifetime sub is Kaput. Correct?

Also, I don't want to run a phone line to the other end of the house just so the Tivo can be connected (I have DECT cordless phones), so a question:
Could I connect and force the Tivo to Sync when i want it to with a temporary long cable through the house?

And yet another question.... are all the Tivo units currently being sold (at Dixons for example) upgradable with the extra hard drive slot?, (I thought I read that some only have one HD slot)?

Thanks for everyones input.

Have you tried this site:-

www.tivocommunity.com

PS. the hard drive question, tivo's of old used to come as standard with 2 hard drives, but now only one 40GB hard drive, so leaving one un-used!! So you can add another drive to the existing one or like me replace both with 2 new drives. All of which can be done by you (instructions on web) or get some very nice man from the web site above to do it for you, both renders your waranty null-&-void.

As for me, I think tivo is the best thing out, and since upgrading it to 240GB its even better!!

Thanks for the info.

I've been on that site in the past, but thought I's post the questions here as it's my regular AV hangout.

Dixons are selling Tivos for £99 when in stock and there's a 7% discount on dvd reviewer bargain bucket page so that covers the postage - about £94 all in.

Waiting for more stock now!!

Cheers.

I too would like to know the full answer to Duncan's question. I've looked all over the place for the answer (including the community forum) but for some reason, TIVO seems to be shrouded in secrecy.

Can anyone tell me what you CAN do with a TIVO without a subscription instead of what you can't do?

As I understand it, you should be able to use it to timeslip programs ie "pause live tv", and record something and watch something else manually.

I assume there is no event timer as on videos but that information isn't confirmed anywhere.

I'm against the subscription as for a start I don't have a land line as I get plenty of free minutes on my mobile and also think paying 5 quid a month for information which is free elsewhere to be a bit steep.

I'm just about to buy a Phillips DVDR880 for about 400 quid but it doesn't have pause tv ability so for another 100 quid I could also have a Tivo to do that. Is it capable and is it worth it?

Cheers,
Callum.

Its my understanding that without subs you can ONLY pause livetv (max. 30min)

PERIOD!!!

Youch.

Well, my Tivo came this morning, so I'll soon find out what I can/can't do until my subscription kicks in.

As for the lifetime sub, I'm going with monthly at least for the first month. I figure it's worth £10 to make sure that it's right for me.

I went straight for the one off payment - not looked back since - even the wife says its the best bit of kit!!

Gary

Went into a Leeds branch of Dixons today, to see if I could see a Tivo.
Apparently Tivo US and UK went bust 8-10 months ago since which Dixons stopped selling them.

Utter crap... But I couldn't be bothered to correct the salesman, he clearly has no idea.

In the meantime the missus asked for a DTT demo, apparently there are currently 60 channels, and the NokiaMedia is the best box around, again nonsense.

Anyway I've ordered a Tivo online from currys, so hopefully it'll arrive soon.
£95 all in.

Cheers All, best of luck.

Whenever I get bored and I'm too skint to go for a drink or the pubs simply aren't open yet, I always pop off to Dixons to ask questions of the sales people. I enjoy hearing their crap before humiliating them. Great entertainment.

Quite sad I know.

Ok, I knew TiVo was good, but this is just brilliant!

My sub hasn't kicked in yet, and it still functions as a perfectly good digital VCR. I get a program guide, the TiVo suggests programs to record, and I can program whatever I want. I don't know if any of this stuff gets disabled after a while, or if the box won't download any more program guides without a subscription, but my box is very functional right now... already worth the £99.

Course, I don't have the latest ver. of the operating system, and I don't have all the bells and whistles yet. But, apart from trying to record Frank Skinner last night (I quickly put a stop to that), I'm already hooked on this thing. I've only had it for 24 hours and it has already changed the way I watch TV. (sheesh I sound like a commercial)

Even after just a day's worth of feedback, it's already suggesting shows that I would actually watch.

Record quality (on highest) is indistinguishable (IMO) from watching TV directly from Sky. I've only just started messing with timeshifting.

Looks like I'll have to start reading the FAQs on hacking my box so I can pick up a larger hard drive.

Got e-mail from currys confirming my order for a Tivo at £94.99 all in.
Maybe it will arrive! yippee.

Also, just bought a Pace DTV box from Argos, urrrgh.

But it looks cool, and pictures are great.
Combining it with all the other kit should be fun though.

Originally posted by gary_cheshire
Its my understanding that without subs you can ONLY pause livetv (max. 30min)

PERIOD!!!

TiVo will do timer recordings without a sub (like a VCR)

You can pause live TV, watch a previous recording while recording another prog:D

Originally posted by Duncan Craig
1. I thought Tivo will work as a basic recorder without a subscription,
isn't this correct?

2. If so why can it not use video plus, and PDC, seeing as my crappy VHS can.

3. The subscription only lasts as long as the unit does, it could fail, Tivo could pull out of the U.K. etc. and the lifetime sub is Kaput. Correct?

4. Also, I don't want to run a phone line to the other end of the house just so the Tivo can be connected (I have DECT cordless phones), so a question:
Could I connect and force the Tivo to Sync when i want it to with a temporary long cable through the house?

1. Yes just like a VCR:)

2. Video+ & PDC are not part of the TiVo hardware/software - never were, never will be (on current model):(

3. But if unit last more than 30 months (2.5years) then you are in profit:) . TiVo have new agreements with companies such as Sony, therefore they WILL NOT pull out of UK (IMHO).

4. TiVo onlt NEEDS to make a call once a week (ish!) and the call cane be forced in at any time. If call not made daily the PVR can get very out of date on short notice changes to the schedule, but if you can live with this.....

Mark.

Originally posted by calscot
1. I too would like to know the full answer to Duncan's question. I've looked all over the place for the answer (including the community forum) but for some reason, TIVO seems to be shrouded in secrecy.

2. As I understand it, you should be able to use it to timeslip programs ie "pause live tv", and record something and watch something else manually.

3. I assume there is no event timer as on videos but that information isn't confirmed anywhere.

4. I'm against the subscription as for a start I don't have a land line as I get plenty of free minutes on my mobile and also think paying 5 quid a month for information which is free elsewhere to be a bit steep.

5. I'm just about to buy a Phillips DVDR880 for about 400 quid but it doesn't have pause tv ability so for another 100 quid I could also have a Tivo to do that. Is it capable and is it worth it?

Cheers,
Callum.

1. TiVo has very few secrets. Take a look at www.tivocommunity.com
You can find just about everything about a TiVo there (that's where I learnt everything about it):)

2. Yes & Yes

3. Without a sub TiVo has a timer just like a VCR

4. None of the recording features are available without a sub until the software has updated to 2.5.5 (via phone conection:confused: ). Plus TiVo sub the cost of their boxes, so they deserve your money via the sub (IMHO). As you say, you can't even get a decent VCR for £100. All the info isn't free. They spend a fortune supporting the software on the boxes.

5. TiVo - changes the way you watch TV.:D No more ad breaks etc. Now that has got to be worth £300 all in.

Originally posted by Azrikam
Youch.

Well, my Tivo came this morning, so I'll soon find out what I can/can't do until my subscription kicks in.

As for the lifetime sub, I'm going with monthly at least for the first month. I figure it's worth £10 to make sure that it's right for me.

If not you can sell it for far more with a lifetime sub:devil:

Originally posted by pointon
Whenever I get bored and I'm too skint to go for a drink or the pubs simply aren't open yet, I always pop off to Dixons to ask questions of the sales people. I enjoy hearing their crap before humiliating them. Great entertainment.

Quite sad I know.

Ever asked them about PC's that come with a coffee cup holder?:devil: :D

Sad, but the best Saturday afternoon sport there is:D

Originally posted by Azrikam
Ok, I knew TiVo was good, but this is just brilliant!

My sub hasn't kicked in yet, and it still functions as a perfectly good digital VCR. I get a program guide, the TiVo suggests programs to record, and I can program whatever I want. I don't know if any of this stuff gets disabled after a while, or if the box won't download any more program guides without a subscription, but my box is very functional right now... already worth the £99.

You get about a 7 day free sub on a new TiVo
After that no more EPG and therefore no more suggestions.
You will get the latest software before the end of the trial sub:)

Originally posted by MarkE19
You get about a 7 day free sub on a new TiVo
After that no more EPG and therefore no more suggestions.
You will get the latest software before the end of the trial sub:)

That makes sense. I thought it was doing way too much out of the box.

As for selling the box, I've only had it a few days, but there's no way I'm selling it any time soon. :D

My box is installing the new software today. How do I know for sure when my sub has kicked in? Will I get a message?

You wont get a message to say that your sub has been activated, but if you go to the system info screen under 'messages & setup' from TiVo Central (main menu) then there is a listing of the type of sub type in there

Thanks.

TiVo's suggestions will get a test tonight, as I'm stuck at work, and didn't get a chance to setup my programming for tonight. Hopefully, it'll at least pick up one of the shows I had intended on watching. (fingers crossed)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom