Really poor speeds on BB Mid - How to sort it?

CJSIMPSON

Novice Member
I have been on Sky BB Mid for about 16 months and always thought it was quite slow but never looked into it until now. I logged into my router and the results look poor to me, not that i know too much but heres what it shows.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 506 kbps 409 kbps
Line Attenuation 41 db 24 db
Noise Margin 31 db 22 db

I have just been on the o2 and bt site and it shows the maximum expected is 6meg on o2 and 4meg on BT. I have logged into sky and in my services it says my Max speed is 0.5meg.

Not impressed, had I known this I wouldnt have been paying an additional £5 per month. I think they should have noticed this when setting up my account.

I emailed them on Saturday and again today and still Ive had no reply. Can anyone offer any advice on why im getting such poor speeds? My house is only about 7/8 years old so the wiring should be ok and that is indicated by other line checks. I have also been on Samknows and it shows my exchange is 1.3km away.

I should also mention that I have a black sky router and that is plugged into the main phone socket and has a filter straight into that with my router on the modem port and all other phones and sky box in the phone port.

Please help.

Last edited:

accyuklad

Banned
have you tryed test socket incase it could be wiring internal because they will ask you to try that if still same after few hours and no improvement then theres a fault

i had a problem where i was getting slowest speed ever with a old isp and found out it was my internal had gone so i still using test socket till i move

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I have logged into sky and in my services it says my Max speed is 0.5meg.
It sounds like nothing's technically wrong but sky is limiting your speed for some reason. I would guess it's just a mistake, if they're not acknowledging your emails I'd give them a ring and ask about it.

solidamber

yes plug your modem and just one phone via a filter in your test socket that is the socket that you can see after you have removed the faceplate (leave it off for the test) on your master socket. it may take two days for the speed to increase. if the internal wiring was faulty.

CJSIMPSON

Novice Member
I have just looked behind my faceplate and I dont have a test socket at all. I had a work phone line put in ages ago so I currently have 2 sockets on my main phone socket, I looked behind this and there is just a metal back box with no test socket. I have 2 wires going to each socket. Is this correct and could it be causing problems?

I cant see the fault being on the internal wiring as my router is directly into the main socket and I have tried it with nothing else plugged in.

Any ideas?

I am currently in a queue with sky, the first lady was no help at all. Are you using a filter? have you turned the router on and off etc...

CJSIMPSON

Novice Member
Just got through and spoke to someone in there technical department, hurray someone who actually seemed to know what he was talking about.

He has tested a few speeds on my line and has upped the speed to 7482kbps, not a bad improvement from 506kbps eh?

Apparently he has left my ticket open for 24-48 hours and if I have any issues I can get straight back through to their department.

I now have the following figures:

Connection Speed 7482 kbps 412 kbps
Line Attenuation 42 db 24 db
Noise Margin 11 db 21 db

Does this look OK.

P.S. Wow this is how surfing should be, miles better than before.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Using the speed calculator you're apparently now doing even better than normal for that attenuation, and with such a large noise margin you may find you speed goes up even more next time you reconnect. (you can turn your router off and back on to reconnect, or do it from the router's control panel).

CJSIMPSON

Novice Member
I am on a max of 8 meg connection anyway so Im happy with this and I think the guy I spoke to has set my speed to 7.5 anyway. I think he mentioned that they try and get the noise margin around 7 max/min not sure which way it works.

NikWS

Standard Member
Based on my recent experience (went from 0.33mb to 12mb on max!):

First thing to do is to make sure it is definitely not your internal wiring. Take the faceplate off the master socket and plug directly into the test socket. Call Sky, go through the checklist wallies and get the case escalated.

From there, you have to keep on at them. It took me a month, but BT eventually turned up a 3rd time with two blokes who rewired everything between my master socket and the exchange with new cabling, apparently.

This only happened after I started talking about legal action. Whether or not I had any grounds, I don't know - but it seemed to do the trick :D

NikWS

Standard Member
Just got through and spoke to someone in there technical department, hurray someone who actually seemed to know what he was talking about.

He has tested a few speeds on my line and has upped the speed to 7482kbps, not a bad improvement from 506kbps eh?

Apparently he has left my ticket open for 24-48 hours and if I have any issues I can get straight back through to their department.

I now have the following figures:

Connection Speed 7482 kbps 412 kbps
Line Attenuation 42 db 24 db
Noise Margin 11 db 21 db

Does this look OK.

P.S. Wow this is how surfing should be, miles better than before.
Should learn to read through the whole thread, shouldn't I? :oops:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom