Answered Really Newbie 4k question

chrisnewton35

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Firstly i want to apologise for the basic question i am about to ask. I am really new to 4K (had my TV 3 weeks) I have a samsung Nu7100, yes i know its not the best TV out there but it was all my budget would allow.

Anyways my question is how do i know when i am viewing actual 4K content? I have a Nvidea Shield TV hooked up to it and that is set to output to 4K, so if i go into you tube for example and pick any video when i press the info button it always says 3840 x 2160 etc.

I assume this is because the shield is up-scaling? i really do not know..but how do i know if i am watching a proper 4k content? does this make sense? sorry again if this is basic.

Also as a side question, if i use the built in you tube app and press the info button nothing ever comes up, why would this be?

Thanks

Chris

Last edited:
Not sure about the YouTube app, but any content showing 3840 x 2160 in the information is 4K content. Even when upscaling it will still only show 1080p.

If you use Netflix for example too, when viewing 4K content it will show 2160 in the stream info.

If you are watching HDR, HDR will appear in the info, and pictures settings should display ST.2084 as opposed to BT.1886.

Thanks, i am sure thats not the way mine is working but will check tonight

If the content is being scaled before going to the tv then it’ll just show the scaled resolution.

As for knowing it’s actual 4K, the source should say if it’s HD etc.

The resolution on the shield is set to 4K as thats what it recommends when i go into settings...so you're saying then that no matter what i play from the shield it will always show as 4K on the info button?

Yes. That’s it succinctly.

Might be worth trying letting the tv do the upscaling.

Ok now I'm really confused I am playing some hdr content from you tube but the hdr symbol does not appear in the info bar . What am I doing wrong?

Ok now I'm really confused I am playing some hdr content from you tube but the hdr symbol does not appear in the info bar . What am I doing wrong?

the shield doesn't support vp9 profile 2, in short, it cannot do HDR within youtube

cheers

the shield doesn't support vp9 profile 2, in short, it cannot do HDR within youtube

cheers

Thanks mate I thought I was going mad
So with this in mind does the built in app support hdr? Like I say if I press info button on built in app nothing happens so I have no idea if it's playing hdr or not

Also what about Netflix? I am tempted to sign up and try out some hdr content on that . Does the info button work inside that built in app??

Thanks mate I thought I was going mad
So with this in mind does the built in app support hdr? Like I say if I press info button on built in app nothing happens so I have no idea if it's playing hdr or not

Also what about Netflix? I am tempted to sign up and try out some hdr content on that . Does the info button work inside that built in app??

Hi mate

the built in app does support HDR for both youtube and netflix, if the info button isn't working on a particular app just press the home button scroll across to the settings cog and in the quick settings above it the TV should state its picture mode, if HDR is engaged there will be a little icon stating so

attached is a pic pinched from google which shows this

download.jpg

cheers

Thank you so so much that worked and has stopped me from going mad . Appreciate your help

If you want to know what resolution YouTube is playing at, you may need to go into the 'Stats for Nerds'... - when a video is playing, press down on the remote to bring up the time bar, press it again so that the pause button is highlighted, then press the left button as many times as needed to go to the three dots click then - the blue icon on the left is the resolution being played at (HD or 4K), but - if unsure / want to see what your TV is doing, go over the right and press on the little symbol that looks like a bug - that'll bring a pop up window up that will tell you more than you'll probably ever need to know ;)

You will however - need to do the same process again to get the window to vanish.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom