Really need help in choosing budget 50'' 4K Samsung vs Hisense

gozza

Hi guys, I really need wisdom from the crowd.

I'm searching for a 50'' TV for mostly streaming in HDR, but will add in some time PS5 console. I know there is no good enough option for both on budget and I'm not searching for some great gaming experience in this price range, but I would be really grateful if you could help me choose a solid solution for both from the following:

Samsung 50Q60A QLED (precise QE50Q60A)
Samsung QE50Q68 QLED
Samsung UE50AU9005 Crystal UHD (less likely option even though it has 120hz and FreeSync, the screen doesn't seem to be even close to other models)
Hisense 50U7QF
Some other tv? I guess Xiaomi Mi P1 is out of this conversation.

I wanted to buy a Q60A but then I came across a lot of places that Hisense owns a great panel and maybe even a better one, and I compared and researched a lot and I’m no longer sure if I have more knowledge now or I’m more confused. From what I find Hisense seems like the best solution. Please help, I'm tired and desperate.

Last edited:

gozza

I read about many problems with Hisense devices and awful customer support which resulted in throwing the TV in the trash. What are your experiences with customer support from Samsung, with device stability and with firmware updates?

Dodgexander

Its really hard to recommend any of those models to stream HDR since non meet the well-regarded baseline of having both local dimming and about 1000 nits of peak brightness.

The U7Q gets the closest, at about 700nits with basic local dimming.

120hz is not supported on any of those models properly, since they are using just 60hz panels. The AU90xx models Q60A will let you send the signal, but the end product will still be 60hz.

gozza

I understand, thank you. Since many TVs have a problem with motion, now I'm trying to find a normal 4K tv for watching movies and sports. Just stable, normal tv, which won't cause me headaches.

Dodgexander

A lot of the motion problems are between the couch and the TV, in other words its in the eye of the beholder.

Different TVs can suffer from different problems based on your own perception, which parts of motion bother you the most, the least and also your sources.

For example, a lot of the complaints about motion can be from people using internal apps, if you are using an external device for playback many of the problems may not be present.

Without more info If motion is your number 1 priority and you know you will be sensitive to issues your best bet is looking at a Sony or Philips model. With a limited budget if you are adverse to motion blur you will probably want to avoid TVs using VA technology, as that combined with 60hz can make for more motion blur. Instead look at TVs using 60hz IPS panels such as 49" Sony or LG models.

Sony tend to have the least motion issues, so they are probably your best bet. Sadly they haven't repeated last years 49" XH80/XH1 models this year, and instead the replacement X80J is sold at 50" now and comes with a VA panel instead of IPS.

If you can afford it, LG do 120hz IPS models such as their Nano range of LCD TVs, these will have faster response times than 60hz models, so they have less motion blur but more stutter.

Some more detail on what motion problems you know you'll notice will help narrow choices down.

gozza

Thank you again, really helpful stuff. I'm not sure if I will be sensitive to motion issues, but I thought maybe it's better if I try to avoid that anyway.

I actually already started to search what Sony offers in this range. And already found an XH81 model on Amazon, the last piece, and it was gone within a few minutes.

I'll try to find another one. In meantime, I keep finding models XH8096 and XH8196, are they included in the mentioned 80 and 81 series? Are they any good?

vickster

Distinguished Member
They should be in the 2020/21 guide

49-50” wider viewing angles, worse contrast (IPS panel)

Sony 49XH8196 / 49XH8096 / 49XH8305 - A costly choice if viewing angles are the priority. They are the same TV with different motion interpolation strengths/aesthetics. Check Sony's website for differences. You can spend less on the 49X7052 / 49X7053 models instead if you don't want Android TV and will be happy with Sony's basic smart TV. These are good options for good video motion on a budget. Wide colour gamuts.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom