Really good or really bad bluerays?

doggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Just wondering if there's any discs you would advise against or promote based on how the film looks?

I like the Bourne movies and I hear the bluerays are pretty poor although I'm still going to buy a used boxset.

I also liked Prometheus on blueray, I thought it looked really good.

What are your thoughts please?

Sicario is a great looking blu ray

I watched perfect storm the other night and it looked really bad on my 55" LG B6

UK release of Carpenter's "Escape From New York" is unquestionably a poor upscale of an SD video source. Definite avoid.

UK release of Carpenter's "Escape From New York" is unquestionably a poor upscale of an SD video source. Definite avoid.

There are arguments on the other site's forums but the best release I think is the barebones MGM region A locked blu. There is a German blu now which is English-friendly but the transfer is not up to the MGM or the Shout apparently.

What we really need is an all singing all dancing Arrow release to go with The Thing. Cmon Arrow!

There are arguments on the other site's forums but the best release I think is the barebones MGM region A locked blu. There is a German blu now which is English-friendly but the transfer is not up to the MGM or the Shout apparently.

What we really need is an all singing all dancing Arrow release to go with The Thing. Cmon Arrow!
Arrow don't have the rights but I forget who have them

The Dark Knight is up there with the best. Well, any of Christopher Nolan's films after Batman Begins are up there. Passengers and Pacific Rim are two fantastic looking films and any of the Transformers movies.

You don't tend to come across bad ones these days, least not new releases in the 4k world we're in now.

I've got the batman trilogy. Just bought the Bourne trilogy too, it was only 3 quid.

The Dark Knight is up there with the best. Well, any of Christopher Nolan's films after Batman Begins are up there. Passengers and Pacific Rim are two fantastic looking films and any of the Transformers movies.

You don't tend to come across bad ones these days, least not new releases in the 4k world we're in now.

I thought The Dark Knight Blu-ray was considered a pretty poor release plagued by Edge Enhancement? true the IMAX sequences were great it’s just everything else that let it down.

Definitely avoid Predator: Ultimate Edition, a travesty of a release.

I thought The Dark Knight Blu-ray was considered a pretty poor release plagued by Edge Enhancement? true the IMAX sequences were great it’s just everything else that let it down.

Definitely avoid Predator: Ultimate Edition, a travesty of a release.
I hadn't really noticed an issue with the non-IMAX scenes, just really impressed by the IMAX sequences, particularly the night ones. I probably will next time now it's been pointed out.

Dunkirk and the dark knight rises look sublime on.blu

Believe it has something to do with them using an IMAX print for the BD and that had all kinds of post processing applied to it resulting in the 35mm material looking far worse than it should have.

The 4K UHD release was hotly anticipated as it was from a new Transfer and finally rectified a lot of the issues that the BD suffered from.

Non-IMAX shots in The Dark Knight are terrible. Really bad BD IMO.

To be honest I don't see 'good' BDs any more. The days of sitting agog while trying out new discs (such as How The West Was Won) are long gone :(

Mind, put a bad BD on and you spot it instantly.

Non-IMAX shots in The Dark Knight are terrible. Really bad BD IMO.

To be honest I don't see 'good' BDs any more. The days of sitting agog while trying out new discs (such as How The West Was Won) are long gone :(

Mind, put a bad BD on and you spot it instantly.

You've clearly adjusted to the superior quality. Stick a bit of 60's 405 Dr Who on then you'll appreciate even the poorest blu.

:D
Bri

Avoid Disney's The Sword in the Stone like the plague - smear hell. Even Predator ultimate edition puts it to shame. It somehow slipped through Disney's usual high level of QA.

Truly great looking ones for me include: The Fall, The cure for wellness, The Lovely bones, The tree of life, The book of life, Jupiter ascending, Lucy, and Only God forgives.

There are many fantastic Blu's out there depending on film sourced or digital. One that stands out as jaw dropping is Arrow's -Cinema Paradiso and Blade Runner -The Final Cut (UHD)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom