Really Frightening Stats.

marty2005

Novice Member
Every day 233,000 humans die.

9700 an hour, 161 a minute, roughly 3 a second.

6,000,000,000 people will be dead in 100 years time.

You don't see that in the news.

Pick up the Sun Newspaper every day and read this ever day.

Headline
233,000 DEAD

That scares the **** out of me.

marty2005

Novice Member
To make up for it, more humans are born every day.

That's just made me think that there has got to more to life than this.

It's like a never-ending re-cycling machine churning out human beings.

Right, so say there is life after death, you are reborn without any memories, just an empty biological machine. You are not born with self-awareness.

What will happen when our Sun goes super-nova and looses gravity? It's going to escape gravity and take our Earth with it.

What will happen to life then?
We got 6 billion yrs to escape or maybe we do not need to as life is on other planets.

I keep thinking about these things lately.

Life was supposed have be started by accident in a primordial soap, but even when the conditions are right where does the self-awareness, sub-consciousness and instinct all come from?

I am interested in what other people have to say.

Damn this insomnia !

marty2005

Novice Member
...And 86% do not. :rotfl:

pjclark1

Novice Member
Less than 50% of people ever born have died.

funkyspider

I can't see how these are frightening, there are quite a few humans on the earth you know.

What's even more scary is that we keep trying to extend the lifespan whilst not looking after the next generation. Taking obesity as a quick example. It is estimated that a larger proportion of the current generation of children will actually die before their parents than in previous generations. This leaves us with a situation where there are more of the older generation requiring support and care and not sufficient of the next generation to provide it.

I'm sure nature will find a way of controlling this - it usually does.

Kebabhead

Novice Member
Headline
233,000 DEAD
Sounds alot but the Human population on average increases by 78 million each year which more than compensates for losses like these

Helll theis cackhole of a country could disappear under the Atlantic Ocean tomorrow and that would be 60 million dead but would only result in a loss of 1% of the world population

Jacksonjnr

Novice Member
I wonder if I will be one of them?...........

43+100

Here's hoping...........not:D

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
I think it will be a lot more than that!
In 100 years time, to all intents and purposes, the 6 Billion alive today will all be 'recycled' as Marty2005 puts it.
There will also be an unknown number of billions who will be born and die in the next 100 years, on top of the 6B already accounted for.

One for the statisticians and actuaries amongst us.

Time to put you pension plan into funeral Business shares.

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
I wonder if I will be one of them?...........

43+100

Here's hoping...........not:D
Naaaaah, you'll be fine.

If not come back to me in 2108 and I'll personally apologize, right here on the AVF GC thread!

Ooops, an American spell-checker, how quaint.

GasDad

Remembered (1964-2012)
Invent a stat time

Assume half the worlds population (3 billion) are sexually active, say 10 times a year for 5 minutes. (ignoring foreplay etc)

Thats 3,000,000,000 x 10 sexual acts a year.

Number of 5 minutes in a year - 60/5 x 24 x 365 = 105120

Divide one into the other and you get - 285000 people are having sex at the moment (if you think sex lasts 10 minutes double that figure etc)

Duncan G

Every day 233,000 humans die.

9700 an hour, 161 a minute, roughly 3 a second.

You don't see that in the news.

Pick up the Sun Newspaper every day and read this ever day.

Headline
233,000 DEAD

That scares the **** out of me.

You woke early and could not get back to sleep, well this will teach you to start thinking so early in the day.

kopchoir

Banned
whats more frightening is that you read the sun newspaper :thumbsdow

Helicon

Banned
Divide one into the other and you get - 285000 people are having sex at the moment (if you think sex lasts 10 minutes double that figure etc)
I wonder what opposite effect this has according to the Chaos Theory......

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
before 1900 there was less than 1 Billion people on the planet at any one time. now theres over 6.6 Billion

Kazuya Mishima

It's like a never-ending re-cycling machine churning out human beings.
That's the idea which has my mind boggling. I mean, as far as I understand it, the atoms which constitute our bodies haven't come out of thin air, they came from somewhere, right? So what did the atoms in each of our bodies used to be part of?

285000 people are having sex at the moment (if you think sex lasts 10 minutes double that figure etc)
:eek:....:(.....:lease:..............................:rotfl:

bjd

Distinguished Member
What will happen when our Sun goes super-nova and looses gravity? It's going to escape gravity and take our Earth with it.

What will happen to life then?
Well, the Sun is a Main Sequence G2 star, and, as such, does not possess enough mass to go Supernova. It will instead expand to a Red Giant and eventually cool to a White Dwarf.
As far as the gravity question is concerned, the Sun is the main source of gravity locally. As it ejects mass both during and after the Red Giant phase, t will exert a weaker influence on the Earth, causing the Earth's orbit to drift "outwards". Some cosmologists have suggested that the rate of drift might negate the effects of the Sun's expansion thus leaving Earth as a habitable planet. More detailed studies which take into account the gravitational buffeting that the Earth would endure as the Sun expands suggest that this might not be the case. Personally, I'm glad I won't be around to find out.

That's the idea which has my mind boggling. I mean, as far as I understand it, the atoms which constitute our bodies haven't come out of thin air, they came from somewhere, right? So what did the atoms in each of our bodies used to be part of?
It depends how far back you want to go, I suppose. Many atoms on Earth get recycled between different people, between humans/plants etc., so to ask where all the atoms in a particular person came from would be pretty impossible.
You could argue that we are all made of "stardust", the remnants of supernovae explosions in the early Universe. These were the main furnaces wherein a lot of different materials were created. Of course, even before that we have the birth of the Universe itself. Now, if you could explain that and give a good reason for the matter-antimatter asymmetry, or the fact that time only flows in one direction, or solve any of a good number of other current theoretical problems, the physicists and cosmologists would be fallling over each other to get an audience. :)

SanPedro

I remember reading somewhere that that our current population is greater than all the people who have ever lived!!!

Staggering thought!!

Jacksonjnr

Novice Member
I remember reading somewhere that that our current population is greater than all the people who have ever lived!!!

Staggering thought!!
Not sure if there are more people alive this week than 2 weeks ago after the disasters in China and Burma:mad:

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Not sure if there are more people alive this week than 2 weeks ago after the disasters in China and Burma:mad:
It's ok, the 12 - 15 year old Chav slags on Orchard Park and Brandsholme in Hull have spawned enough offspring to balance that equation.