1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really enjoyed the Manchester show

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Gadjet, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I come from the show with my head spinning. The main hardware I went to see where new speakers,BUT... come from there thinking of buying plasma or LCD.
    The first shock was the new Pioneer with the black surround. It was beautiful, great picture, all the extras as well as looks where my main love for this unit. If I bought it (42") on the day I could of had it for £4000.
    Then there was the Phillips 42" Flatron plasma. The picture was outstanding especially with pixel plus on, the price on the day was £3600 with tuner and dvd recorder(tuner and stand with pioneer). Then last but not least the 37" Sharp LCD. What stunning colours on a LCD screen. First time I have seen one, this was £4300 with tuner on the day.
    Just couldnt decide which one to buy. I will just have to read up on all of them and loose out on the price rediuction. I was not decisive enough!
    The speakers for now will take the back seat for now! The REL room Prolac speakers sounded tremendous though..

I read a thread earlier on about someone with a similar dilema. The difference being I am in no rush, I wanted to buy on the day for the price reduction, but now I have missed that I can take my time. I dont think you could realy loose either way

Take Care,
    Phill

2. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm doesn't seem much of a price reduction to me? On the Pioneer at least, av-sales is doing it for £4050 delivered, and i don't think they're the only ones..

Still another great report on them.. making me more and more happy about buying a 504.

3. howies

howies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i also went to the show just to make up my mind on what plasma to go for .i too like the new pioneers for quality pics and they kept switching the dvd from component to hdmi and it did make a big difference although the pic from component was still very good. i also have never seen a good projector running before and was blown away by the quality of a projector by a company called sim2 and it was only £3750 .anyway overall a very good and informative show.

4. ianmidz

ianmidz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to the show to compare the lcd panels- but was dissapointed! the philips 30" was fed an rf feed and the guy didnt know much about the product. Tried the sony one but they were showing this with a scart which they said was rgb but clearly wasnt. the dvd recorder they were isung had a componant feed - but the said they didnt have any leads !!

I got a sony freeview box xxheap, some noise cancelling headphones and loads of mags, so it was worth going, but it seemed a strange was to show off some products

5. ianmidz

ianmidz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to the show to compare the lcd panels- but was dissapointed! the philips 30" was fed an rf feed and the guy didnt know much about the product. Tried the sony one but they were showing this with a scart which they said was rgb but clearly wasnt. the dvd recorder they were isung had a componant feed - but the said they didnt have any leads !!

I got a sony freeview box xxheap, some noise cancelling headphones and loads of mags, so it was worth going, but it seemed a strange was to show off some products

6. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Arsenal
    I think Pioneers main selling point at the show (bar the reduced price) was they guarenteed you'd have the screen by the end of this week if you purchased it from Practical there at the show. Don't know if everyone else has stock ready to ship??? Pioneer guy made out there were none in the country yet.

Gadget
    Those speakers were ProAc and are absolutly fantastic, I have a pair of Response 15D as my main front L&R, wouldn't swap them for the world. When you've turned the Home Cinema off put a CD on they sound even better.

Regards

7. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah yes, forgot about that.. although i thought most places should have them in by the end of the week anyway? In any case, i was more commenting on the supposed show price reduction, i'd have thought if the pre-release pioneers can be had for the same or lesser price elsewhere, then all the other displays he mentioned should be as well. So no real extra pressure to buy at the show.

8. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    True enough, its hard enough to make decisions about buying something like that, without the preasure of walking round the show trying to take everything in and at the same time make your mind up before you leave and go home.

The 10% off which is available on most things at the show is not really that much discount.

9. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone knows what was the model number for the Philips 42" Flatron plasma that was in the show?

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    philips 9965

11. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips has a dvi input I am wondering if it is HDCP compliant?