Really confused

dantheram

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have became confused by cables, can someone help?

Current set-up: PS3 - TV - via HDMI
Surround sound system - TV - via optical

Bemusement: I was under the impression that the PS3 had to be linked to the sound system, by optical, in order for me to take advantage of 5.1 sound. However, i selected the sound output as HDMI on my PS3 and turned on the 5.1 and it works.

Is there anything wrong with my current set-up?

I have became confused by cables, can someone help?

Current set-up: PS3 - TV - via HDMI
Surround sound system - TV - via optical

Bemusement: I was under the impression that the PS3 had to be linked to the sound system, by optical, in order for me to take advantage of 5.1 sound. However, i selected the sound output as HDMI on my PS3 and turned on the 5.1 and it works.

Is there anything wrong with my current set-up?

Sound works - it is passed from PS3 to TV and then to the sound system. It is not 5.1 however. The moment it goes to your TV it becomes 2 channel not 5.1 anymore.

In order to have it as 5.1 you have to connect the audio system to PS3.

Sound works - it is passed from PS3 to TV and then to the sound system. It is not 5.1 however. The moment it goes to your TV it becomes 2 channel not 5.1 anymore.

the sound sounds like it is 5.1. For example when i walk past someone who is talking, in the game, the voice is heard at the front then it moves to the back.

the sound sounds like it is 5.1. For example when i walk past someone who is talking, in the game, the voice is heard at the front then it moves to the back.

This is just emulated 5.1 by stuff like Dolby ProLogic and all. If you connect it the proper way it will be 10x better.

Last edited:
This is just emulated 5.1 by stuff like Dolby ProLogic and all. If you connect it the proper way it will be 10x better.

thanks for your help mate.

Will i have to keep taking out the optical lead though? Currently the optical lead is going from the tv to the surround system.

thanks for your help mate.

Will i have to keep taking out the optical lead though? Currently the optical lead is going from the tv to the surround system.

The TV can be connected via other means, not only optical. Choose another option and you will be fine.

The TV can be connected via other means, not only optical. Choose another option and you will be fine.

but if i used 'other means' would i then lose any surround sound that may be broadcast by tv channels?

but if i used 'other means' would i then lose any surround sound that may be broadcast by tv channels?

NO TV channels are broadcast in 5.1. Unless you have a Sky HD box or something like that, your TV will only get as much as stereo.

NO TV channels are broadcast in 5.1. Unless you have a Sky HD box or something like that, your TV will only get as much as stereo.

i have now connected the virgin box to the surround unit via optical. By my understanding this means i can listen to broadcasts in stereo i.e 2 channels (or even 5.1 if available).

Which i could also do (bar 5.1) with the red and white leads, correct?

Therefore, i could then connect the ps3 using the optical lead, right?

Do i connect the red white leads between the tv and surround unit or virgin box and surround unit?

Some Sony TV's (and maybe others) will take DD 5.1 via HDMI and output it via its optical out.

Last edited:
Some Sony TV's (and maybe others) will take DD 5.1 via HDMI and output it via its optical out.

i have a sony KDL EX503 and it has an optical out, is this likley to be 5.1 output?

This is so damn confusing :confused: :laugh:

Just found this;

"I have just got my reply from Sony.

These were my questions:

I am upgrading my Home Cinema kit within the next month or so and I am looking at getting a Sony 40EX503 LCD TV. I have a question about the integrated Freeview HD tuner. I understand that there is an issue with the broadcasting of 5.1 sound with Freeview HD in the UK. I would like to know whether this tv is capable of outputting true 5.1 sound to an AV Amp / Receiver (Sony 3500ES)? If so, would it do this via optical digital out or HDMI out?

I have been advised that I need to ask whether the tv can transcode the 5.1 sound that is broadcast via HD Freeview and output it via the optical digital out to my AV Amp / Receiver in a format that the Amp can process as digital 5.1.

Here is more information about the issue:

BBC - BBC Internet Blog: Questions around surround sound on Freeview HD

And their response is:

Thank you for your recent e-mail received on 03/06/2010 08.03 AM.

Having investigated this matter for you, I am pleased to advise that the Sony KDL-40EX503 will be able to receive / output 5.1 channel sound by optical to your amplifier / receiver when this is received by the freeview tuner integrated into your television.

I trust that this will be of assistance to you.

Yours sincerely

Nick Burbridge
Customer Information Centre
SONY UNITED KINGDOM"

So, can i assume that i can link my tv to my surround sound, via optical, and still hear 5.1 sound?

Currently i have my surround linked to my virgin box ia optical.

Dan

So, can i assume that i can link my tv to my surround sound, via optical, and still hear 5.1 sound?

Currently i have my surround linked to my virgin box ia optical.

Dan

As you have a Sony TV I'm pretty sure you're getting DD 5.1 (I don't know about DTS) from your PS3 when connected how you first said. I remember soneone saying it on here a while ago and a moderator tried it and confirmed it worked.

I don't know too much about Freeview HD or Virgin boxes so can't really advise.

Personally, I'd connect the TV, PS3 & Virgin box to your amp using a 3 way optical switch then everything is connected.

:)

As you have a Sony TV I'm pretty sure you're getting DD 5.1 (I don't know about DTS) from your PS3 when connected how you first said. I remember soneone saying it on here a while ago and a moderator tried it and confirmed it worked.

I don't know too much about Freeview HD or Virgin boxes so can't really advise.

Personally, I'd connect the TV, PS3 & Virgin box to your amp using a 3 way optical switch then everything is connected.

:)

i agree, are the switches any good? i.e. dont corrupt the signal and the such like.

i agree, are the switches any good? i.e. dont corrupt the signal and the such like.

They do work well and are ideal in your situation. It can be a minor pain manually switching between sources but still quicker and easier than swapping cables!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom