Really confused re connections from soundcard!

symbiosis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm really hoping that somebody will be able to help to answer this one!

I have an Creative Audigy2 (the first model) soundcard that has a digital output via a minijack. I want to connect my soundcard to a 5.1 receiver/amp, many to enjoy 5.1 DVD's and Cd's.

When I go to the Creative support site for this card, I get the following info:

It is strongly recommended that you connect your Sound Blaster to the analog multi-channel inputs instead of digital input if your AV receiver has both digital input as well as analog multi-channel inputs.

If you are going to connect from the Digital Out on your Sound Blaster to the Digital Input on your receiver, you will only receive multi channel audio when your are playing DVD games, or DVD movies, or standalone AC3 files. You will only hear stereo (front left and right channels) when playing MP3, MID, AVI, WAC, or WMA et.

In addition, the DVD-Audio playback is restricted to analog out only. The Digital Out will be automatically muted when you start to play a DVD-Audio file. (DVD Audio is not supported in Windows Vista).

- I'm really confused by this, does this mean that I CANT use the digital output AT ALL from my card to do what I wanted?

Iwanted to get a Sony DG520 that only has digital optical inputs as I though that would be the best quality but now I'm not sure if it will work?

I have rung various home cinema shops etc but nobody seems to be able to answer the question if it will work

Any help greatfully recieved as I dont want to be lumbered with a setup that dosnt work

Cheers

It is not that it will not work but digital optical or co-ax from a PC by default is stereo or AC3 (multi-channel). AC3 is available from DVD's in the DVD drive with the right softwar like Power DVD and others. If the 5.1 movie was played off the hard drive or a game for that matter you will only get stereo without install AC3 filters etc.
In my case I use direct 5.1 connection to overcome the issues and get 5.1 no matter what, or 7.1 if available. So if the AV amp you intend getting/got has 5.1 direct in use it would be my answer.
Creative do a cable pack for their cards </Title> <meta name="description" content="Creative MP3 Players, Mp3 Accessories, Webcams, PC Speakers and Headphones, Sound Cards. FREE Delivery for Orders in excess of £79.31! Shop with confidence." /> <meta name="robots" content="ALL, INDEX, FOLLO

I have an Creative Audigy2 (the first model) soundcard that has a digital output via a minijack. I want to connect my soundcard to a 5.1 receiver/amp, many to enjoy 5.1 DVD's and Cd's.

Yes you will be able to do what you want via digital, pre-supposing that you have the same connections on your AV amp and on the soundcard, e.g. coax digital on both or optical digital on both. If you have coax on one and optical on the other then you're stuffed and will have to use the analogue connections.

If you do have the appropriate connections then it's simplicity to do what you want. Just set all output to go via spdif via creative audioHQ. Then configure your software DVD player to use spdif for audio. It will then bitstream either the DD or DTS signal straight to your amp. Likewise your MP3/media player will output a stereo signal over digital to your amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom