1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really bad service from Sharp ...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by neoglow, Jul 23, 2005.

1. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Despite the fact that I was over the moon with my new Sharp LC26GA3E LCD about 3 weeks ago today,

See other thread - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224502

I only actually possessed the panel for 5 days, ever since then it has been in Sharp's Service Centre for repair that could have been completed long before now. In short, the left speaker stopped responding and the panel would intermittently power down to stand-by - noticeably when the volume was increased to around 30 decibels. At this very moment it is in the hands of City-Link courier on its way back to me so I can get an exchange for a new one from the place of purchase. It all ended suddenly with Sharp's Service Centre the moment I got a green light from Richer Sounds to replace the unit all together. Regardsless if the unit was repaired or not I demanded it be sent back to me ASAP. Frankly, the service I recieved from Sharp was utterly pathetic.

Without making this an essay-long thread I'll give details of why I have been kicking myself for the past fornight for not simply phoning Richer Sounds when the fault arose.
    Thinking that I had already owned the panel for about a week I thought it best to contact the manufacturer to have them have a look at the panel and repair/replace the unit free of charge under the 12 month warranty. Considering the manufacterer to be the best option since they make the damn things they should provide a fast efficient service that includes courier pickup, serviceing and delivery.
    Whilst pickup, servicing and delivery are included, the 'fast' and 'efficient' aspects were non-existant. After countless phone calls to them to discover when the unit will be picked up I eventually got a straight answer after demading I speak to a manager because I swear every call-advisor I spoke to said "We're call you back" - F***ING LIARS!

I was told to accompany the panel with proof of purchase and a description of the fault, both of which I enclosed in a 'Documents Enclosed' pouch on the front of the box. A few days later I phone up for a progress report to be told an engineer has been asigned the work and it will be carried out tomorrow (wednesday 20th) Orginally we were told it will be finished by this date, this annoyed me but I guess they may be busy. However, whilst on the phone I informed them that the required documents are on the box. On Thursday, I phone up in the afternoon to hear the result to be told they have not carried out any work since they could not find any fault with the unit :eek: :eek: :eek:

Enquiring about the left speaker the phone went silent for a moment since their records showed the fault was with something entirly different.

"Left speaker sir?" I get back,
    "Well didnt you read my fault description enclosed on the box?"
    Line goes silent again.............
    "What fault description sir?"
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

Stopping myself from biting the phone in half I tell them to look at the panel again in the nicest possible language and call me back later. I come home later with a message from my dad to say they called and explained that it must be the aerial cable in the house and not the panel since the left speaker is working fine in their workshop. :rolleyes: Admittably my dad is in no way a technically minded person and can bearly work the toaster let alone an LCD TV. Fuming, we call them back up to say we have been fobbed off with a load of bullsh*t information about our cabling considering I was playing on the PS2 via Component when the speaker went, the aerial cable may as well been unplugged. Thursday ends with them "leaving it on test" over night and a review of the set on Friday. In the meantime we contacted Richer Sounds and explained the situation, and they were more than happy to replace the unit. Friday morning Sharp tell us the unit is not faulty and to that day I dont think my fault description sheet was even looked at, without having to dispute with Sharp over the 'phantom' fault we demand the unit be returned to us faulty or not.

Conclusively, anyone who has a Sharp LC26GA3E or any other Sharp Televison, contact your retailer first or be in for the long haul with the chimps over at Sharps Service Centre. Ultimately, the thing that annoyed me the most was the lack of communication and their blatant inefficiency at getting work done.

Be warned.
    Mark.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience but unfortunately your experiences seem to be quite normal for many large manufacturers.

As you have now realised, you should have taken the unit back to Richer Sounds and got a replacement or refund there and then as is your statory right. 5 days is well within a reasonable amount of time to discover a fault and reject the goods. The contract is between you and RS not with Sharp. Sharps warranty is effectively good will, ultimately at the end of the day, your legal rights are between you and the seller ie RS. If the unit is still faulty on its return, take it back to RS and reject it. If they refuse to play ball, I believe that the law is still on your side to reject the unit but I am sure someone else will know better.

-Ian

3. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry to hear your bad story.

I would agree and say you should have gone straight back to Richersounds and got a replacement/refund.

I have a 32GA3E and my first two panels had numerous dead pixels on them , the problem I had was the retailer I purchased the set from did not want to help due to me reporting the fault after 28 days !!.
    I got on the phone to Sharpserv and I must say the service from them was superb.
    They arrange to pick up my 1st display and exchange it for another one , sadly the replacement also had some stuck pixels so I requested another replacement.
    Thankfully the 3rd display is excellent with no faults to report , Sharp could not have helped me more so either you were unlucky or they have gone downhill in the past 12 months ?.

Drphibes

4. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To my suprise I was told a replacement could not be issused and I would have to contact Sharp themselves.....wait a second I thought.....you are Sharp!!!!! Ok, they are Sharps Service people (Sharpserv) but what happens if a customers panel is faulty and has to be replaced???? Anyhow, I have now completely forgotten about Sharpserv and will never use them again. However, to further annoy me today, my replacement unit has a fault too! Unbelievable, Richer Sounds delivered my second one this morning and it all worked fine until I connected the DVI to my PC........no responce. After experimenting with a completely different PC, different cables and different software I came to the conclusion yet another panel from Sharp is faulty. To me, I cannot help but think there is something fishy going on, ie, Sharp have released a bad batch or Richer Sounds are dealing in dodgy goods. Maybe third time lucky and will find out Friday.

God help me if I get 'another' faulty unit.

M.