1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really annoying Panny 42PWD6 fault

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nickc, May 28, 2004.

1. nickc

nickc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Panny since October with just the Scart board and everything was well.

Then I decided to get an extra PC vga board and component board to use with my NTL box and DVD player respectively.

I noticed when watching DVD's (component) that during any bright scenes ie. explosions, the screen would go blank for a second. This doesnt happen when viewed through the Scart.

AV Sales have checked the board and cable.

I have tried the following:-

Component board in all 3 slots.
    2 different Dvd players
    Factory defaults on the plasma

So it was taken away to be fixed, it came back yesterday "fixed" but the fault is still there :mad:

Anyone ever see this problem before?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Go in to the advanced menu and turn down Input level then check if it still does it

Gordon

3. nickc

nickc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the tip,

just tried it at -10 and -32, no luck :(

what does input level do?

4. nickc

nickc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my Saga with this fault continues.

I've noticed two things:

AV-Sales have been great helping me contact Panasonic. :smashin:

Panasonic rarely phone back when they say they will :(

I'm trying to get a Panny engineer out to see the fault, however the guy I most recently spoke to was trying to imply that it may be a hardware incompatibility between dvd and plasma (ignoring the fact I tried another dvd player!) and that I may have to live with it. :thumbsdow

Sounds nonsense to me!

One of the dvds the fault appears on is Armageddon near the beginning when the space shuttle and astronaut explode.

Can I please ask anyone with a copy of this film, a Pioneer 747A dvd player and a Panny 42PWD6 to give it a try and see? :lease:

thanks,

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    nickc

I take it you've tried two Pioneer DV-757 players - and had the same result with both.

You don't motion any problems with the NTL box - how is it connected to the Display.

I know Dr John at JS Technology has had the odd problem with some Pioneer players outputting voltages that are a bit OTT via RGB on bright scenes; possibly you have something similar happening on the YUV output.

If you have tried a different brand of player on YUV and get the same result then its got to be an Input Board or Display problem.

If its a DV-757/PWD incompatibility you may want to try 'padding' your cables with resistors to drop the output voltage and see if that helps.

Did you get any info on what the 'fix' that was undertaken consisted of?

Best regards

Joe

6. mralsal

mralsal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my panny HD for over a week now and I've noticed this problem with my screen also. Likewise it only happens on dvd. I have a very old Tosh dvd player outputting in RGB via scart to a JS SCART RGB/ COMPONENT converter and cabled to screen via HD15 port i.e. not to any of the card slots. No matter how far you reduce any of the settings it does not get rid of the problem. Never seems to happen while watching my NTL box by the same manner. So it makes me think it's indeed a problem with screen handling the output level of the dvd via component. I am going to try to output the dvd in S VID to my Denon 3805 and let that convert the signal to component and see what happens. I`ll let you know. Bit concerned that the problem is known to happen with some Pioneer dvd players because I'm waiting for a new Pioneer player but I will be using it with SDI mod to a Lumagen Vision so if this is an issue with component only then I should not have a problem. But I do ask the question is this a problem with the Panny or the dvd player. Why should there be a conflict of any type between screen and any player via any input.

7. nickc

nickc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

My dvd player is the 747-A (pic attached) the other player I have tried is a Toshiba 330 (I bought to try then took back!).

The problem was worse and more frequent on the Toshiba.

Currently my Pioneer is connected by component to my amp, then component to the plasma. (BNC component board.)

The amp is a recent purchase and the problem was identical previously when the dvd player was connected directly via component.

My NTL box is connected via scart to a JS Technology RGB to VGA2 converter into the extra PC input card. No sign of the problem at all.

I suspect the "fix" by Barron McCann was that they couldn't find the fault so they sent it back. Infact upon phoning them again I was told if they couldn't find it a second time the same would probably happen again. :(

Attached Files:

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello both

There are way too many PWD and PHD4, 5 and 6 Series Plasma Displays out there hooked up via Interlaced and Progressive YUV to start thinking along the lines of a 'generic' fault; it would have been highlighted long before now.

The Plasma Display doesn't understand what a DVD player is - it sees an electrical signal in a pre determined format and reacts accordingly.

The Inputs on the Plasma are designed to work within certain parameters - plus or minus a production tolerance!.

Likewise your DVD player is designed to output an electrical signal within certain parameters - and again within a certain tolerance; though lower cost players will have a wider 'tolerance' than more upmarket players and this is where many issues arise as the Player's 'tolerance' factor takes it outside of the acceptable signal the Display will work with.

Are you both outputting Interlaced or Progressive and have your players been modified, chipped or firm ware hacked for multi region?

It may take a few more questions but eventually you may arrive at a solution.

Best regards

Joe

9. nickc

nickc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My thoughts exactly Joe.

Both my player and the Toshiba I tried were muli-region.

Of the two only my Pioneer supports Progressive, setting it either way makes no difference. R1 and R2 discs affected equally.

10. mralsal

mralsal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi nickc.

Just got a new Panny RP-82 sdi multi dvd player on Saturday. Pluged in via same component cable I used with the Tosh player which caused the same problem as your player. No problem found at all with new player.

11. nickc

nickc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mralsal,

Glad you got it sorted :clap:

Just been on the phone to Panasonic, and they told me my screen has got a fault. The weird thing is that they couldn't recreate the problem on a silver model, but did on another charcoal one! :confused:

Anyway, they have had to order a part to fix it.

regards,

Nick