Real World…..G1 vs C1 vs A90J

UpgradingAgain

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

like many others, I’m. Looking at the latest TVs and have seen YouTube comparisons etc. And read reviews here and there. There’s so much said of motion, near black performance, tv vs gaming, and of course Nits!!!

When I view these TVs at shops, I have to say I can’t tell the difference and it makes me wonder how much one would really see in their own home when not having another TV to compare against? I looked at the A90J and the same video on the A80J and could I see a brighter panel? No. I looked at the C1 vs G1 and also the A90J…there again I couldn’t tell if any differences were because of source, poor broadband, or inherent within the screen performance.

And yes, they’re all set to VIVID mode out there but surely if that’s what a customer buys for, they’re getting what they see! And all the TVs in vivid mode look good as I guess they should; to attract the 🐝.

Has anyone else found that they do or do not see differences when the go browsing?

If you like vivid mode then save your money on buying a premium tv tv and just get a cheap LCD. But nobody would watch a tv in store mode.

There isn't massive differences between the top high end oleds ,and most people would be happy with either of them if they are free of major issues like banding/tint.

For the vast majority of people,a cx would be more than good enough for them imo. Great price with comparable performance to this years sets

My old Fujitsu was isf calibrated and then I can’t remember if I did with my Sony 75 FALD and now I’m looking again, at Oled because the blacks are so rich. I don’t use ‘ Vivid ‘ but my point is that whatever mode one uses, the TVs on show must be capable unless their Vivid mode is somehow cheating us about the general performance of a set.

My old Fujitsu was isf calibrated and then I can’t remember if I did with my Sony 75 FALD and now I’m looking again, at Oled because the blacks are so rich. I don’t use ‘ Vivid ‘ but my point is that whatever mode one uses, the TVs on show must be capable unless their Vivid mode is somehow cheating us about the general performance of a set.
Well for me the whole performance of a set is having it as accurate as possible, good skin tones no garish colours or overblown whites,so no point looking in shop mode at the performance of a high end set vs another as its a waste of time.

But end of the day any of the 3 sets you looked at,there won't be much of a difference between the sets when properly set up. Most content will look much the same,with some content looking better here or there on certain sets.

Wouldn't pay full price now for a Jz2000/1500 or A90J now,as still need updates for it to have all the features it's supposed to. There coming at end of the year,CES few weeks later which will show improvements over this years sets with all this years features right ootb,then few months after the new sets come out for the same price of a Jz2000 and A90J.

Best to save your money and wait or get a c1 for a great price,with similar performance picture wise,but better gaming options and 4 2.1 hdmi if needed.

All depends on what people's needs are. But the c1 for 2k is certainly better value than a A90J for 3.5k

Very little real life difference between oleds esp if its your first.

Paying an extra 1.5k for the same screen size is nonsense.

Costco are doing the 65a8 sony for £1500 you wont go wrong at that price thats if 2.1 for gaming isnt important

Costco are doing the 65a8 sony for £1500 you wont go wrong at that price thats if 2.1 for gaming isnt important
We have a ps5 and seem to play it once/twice a week. I think we need a good all rounder. We watch mostly in the evening and have shutters closed. It’s not pitch black as there is always some light. What I heard from YouTube is that Sony seems to lighten near blacks and this loses contrast c.f. LG. But then motion on LG is perhaps less developed to Sony’s. I wonder if I’d notice that and when?

Ive have a 55 fz802 panasonic oled and a sony 65a8 i really cant tell any difference except the sony is better for sport

It just seems to handle movement better. I only watch a lot of golf and when putting the ball would judder on the panasonic but the sony seems to appear a lot smoother the ball rolls with a lot less judder. Its definitely bright enough to my eyes watching the matrix on 4k disc some of the really bright scenes hurt my eyes i thi k a lot of the reviews you have to take with a pinch of salt. The sony still came second in the hdtv tv off the yr to the hz2000. I was lucky enough to get one from j lewis with a 5yr warranty for £1500 which was a know brainer for my needs. Yr to yr the models really dont change that much. I dont game so 2.1 really isn't a issue for me the eldest sometimes uses it for his ps5 and says its great and looks good to me but obviously he hasn't played anything with the 2.1 features

I am in the same boat. I am trying to decide between a G1 or a A90J.

The main thing I watch is Sports, which TV is better for Sports? I also watch movies and stream shows, but I am not much of a gamer.

I don't mind paying more for the Sony, but is it really that much better, if at all? If the difference is hard to tell, I guess it's hard to justify spending all that extra money. But if the difference is clear then I don't mind.

I am in the same boat. I am trying to decide between a G1 or a A90J.

The main thing I watch is Sports, which TV is better for Sports? I also watch movies and stream shows, but I am not much of a gamer.

I don't mind paying more for the Sony, but is it really that much better, if at all? If the difference is hard to tell, I guess it's hard to justify spending all that extra money. But if the difference is clear then I don't mind.
I own a CX and watch primarily sports. I haven't had any concerns with the motion. When I first bought the CX I noticed a significant improvement over the motion of my X800E. My wife watches a lot of movies on the CX and the picture quality of the movies is exceptional. The SDR picture quality on the CX is so good that sometimes I like it better than the HDR picture quality.

Very little real life difference between oleds esp if its your first.

Paying an extra 1.5k for the same screen size is nonsense.
Wouldn't go as far as that,it's all what people want and think is the best TV for them and their pocket. Getting the best TV possible ,even the differences are small is good enough for them.

But imo the A90J is not good value for money at the moment if you can get a 65" c1 for 2k .and a 77" c1 for 3.3k or a A80J for £3120 at Costco

Got my A90J at launch and was well worth the money, wouldn't swap for any set out this year unless it was a 83" A90J/c1:love:

I watched the TV shootout (value elec) and the A90J won. Now the issue is that the G1 had a pink band showing and lost out through this for PQ. In many categories the Sony did better but no one spoke of how much better and do experts pick out things that we may not see so easily? I do wonder if C1 at 83inches is the best bang for buck comparee with A90J and G1?

Admittedly it’s hard to do and I fall foul of this myself with lots of purchases.

But the differences between this years sets are very small by all accounts. In fact even year on year the differences are small.

So the real question is what bearing will the extra you shell out now have on when you next upgrade. If it makes no difference, then there’s some logic (if you can afford it) in paying the extra for those small diffferences.

On the other hand if it means you’ll keep the set longer, then you’d be best served buying the cheapest option, even a run out. Yes you may lose out on some small improvements another set may offer for the time you have this set. But those couple of years early you upgrade you’ll more then compensate by benefitting from a far bigger step up.

Year on year despite the reviews very little usually changes. In a few years though, often some significant improvements appear.

No difference between the high end OLEDS, especially when some users can't notice the difference between an LCD and OLED.

I'm just in the process of having my QN94A collected to go back to OLED, the brighter screen was not worth losing that beautiful crisp OLED image. Messed around with the settings for 2 weeks and still wasn't happy with it.

We’ve never had oled before and I was always concerned with 1) cost over led 2) image burn-in. This time around I think it’ll be oled for us with some form of insurance maybe if it covers burn in. Now the LG G1 vs C1 is a debate going on and not sure if the EVO panel shows it’s face a lot more. The A90J is seemingly brighter/ sharper and has better motion and is £500 cheaper at 83 inches than the C1???!! How come? There’s something wrong there. The G1 has this red tint screen going on and I’m now put off this model.
As for upgrading and how often; my last TV was 5 years old and no issues at all with it but I think this next step for oled is at the right time for us. I’d rather pay for the best set but will Black Friday have any better prices for the Sony?

We’ve never had oled before and I was always concerned with 1) cost over led 2) image burn-in. This time around I think it’ll be oled for us with some form of insurance maybe if it covers burn in. Now the LG G1 vs C1 is a debate going on and not sure if the EVO panel shows it’s face a lot more. The A90J is seemingly brighter/ sharper and has better motion and is £500 cheaper at 83 inches than the C1???!! How come? There’s something wrong there. The G1 has this red tint screen going on and I’m now put off this model.
As for upgrading and how often; my last TV was 5 years old and no issues at all with it but I think this next step for oled is at the right time for us. I’d rather pay for the best set but will Black Friday have any better prices for the Sony?
Something to think about before you buy burn in insurance. How probable is OLED Burn In. There have been 15 million OLED TVs sold since 2018 with very few reports of OLED Burn In. Almost all the reports of OLED Burn In are on 2017 and older OLEDs. Is the risk of OLED Burn In worth a 10% increase in the price of your TV? Even if you are that 1 in a million OLED Owners who experiences burn in on a 2018 and newer OLED TV you just lose 2000 pounds, it won't be the end of the world. Just watch your TV and enjoy. Millions of OLED owners take no special precautions and never experience Burn In.

The advice by all the professional reviewers is; If you fear burn in the answer is simple buy an LED TV or pay 10 percent more for your OLED. The first few days of owning your OLED may be anxious as you see all the static white channel logos that are almost constantly on your TV. After a week you will realize that if OLED Burn In was a reasonable concern on 2018 and newer OLEDs then their would be millions of reports of static channel logos Burnt In to 2018 and newer OLEDs. From this fact hopefully you will realize that OLED Burn In is no longer a reasonable concern and the fear is instigated by pissed off 2017 and older OLED owners.

Last edited:
Don't forget the A80J, probably 90%+ of the picture quality of the A90J, maybe more to the layman in real world scenario, and a lot cheaper. No 83" though, 77" max

I have decided to buy the A90J and it will be delivered next week. I feel I’ve had a good look at what’s out there and there’s a fair amount of positivity around the Sony this year. Let’s hope it plays nice!

What size did you get in the end,the 83"?

Good choice, the A90J is a quality tv,and 83" is a fantastic size . Hope you get a good one with no/minimal issues :thumbsup:

Good choice, the A90J is a quality tv,and 83" is a fantastic size . Hope you get a good one with no/minimal issues :thumbsup:
Depressing caveat for 2021. My OLED is like what, 5 years old now? And I am desperate to upgrade to one that is free from these issues which seem to plague most of the sets out there. But here we are 5 years later and it's STILL a ****ing lottery. Pretty crap effort from LG I think. Instead of constantly farting about with improved brightness that no-one can even detect, how about making your panels uniform???

Honestly I would pay an extra grand without batting an eyelid if someone supplied panels with (reasonably) no visible colour staining, vignetting or banding.

Depressing caveat for 2021. My OLED is like what, 5 years old now? And I am desperate to upgrade to one that is free from these issues which seem to plague most of the sets out there. But here we are 5 years later and it's STILL a ****ing lottery. Pretty crap effort from LG I think. Instead of constantly farting about with improved brightness that no-one can even detect, how about making your panels uniform???

Honestly I would pay an extra grand without batting an eyelid if someone supplied panels with (reasonably) no visible colour staining, vignetting or banding.

Surely if it was a simple fix, they’d have “fixed” panel variation. After all, returns have an impact on their bottom line.

Sometimes, for mass production at the cutting edge, there are limitations in what can be achieved.

Moreover, some of this is user behaviour. If you can’t see any issues in normal content, do they matter? Whereas if you slap slides on immediately and start analysing every square inch, you’ll probably find something and never be able to look past it. Again this is not just a problem for LG, it’s a waste of time for the person who does this and has the hassle of returning multiple panels.

Personally, when I buy a Tv, I watch as much as I can and varied content. If I don’t see issues then I’m happy. I avoid slides/etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom