1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real wood veneer Audience 42

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kklee, Aug 11, 2003.

1. kklee

kklee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

i've got a question about the audience 42.

is there any difference between the real wood veneer and the vinyl version (apart from the finish)?

as far as i observed from a local dealer shop, the front buffle of the real wood veneer version appeared to be a little bit thinker and the drivers looked different in color.

just want to know if there's any difference in performance between these two versions.

Thanks

kklee

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Can't answer for the 42's, but WHF magazine says the real-wood version of the slightly bigger 52's DOES sound a bit better all-round. Apparently the real-wood cabinet is a bit stiffer, so improving the sound. Whether you accept WHF's opinion as useful is up to you. :)

3. kklee

kklee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. Nobber.

However, i am not convinced with WHF's explanation for better sound quality.

Consider that the finish (no matter real wood veneer or vinyl) is of a thickness about 0.1 mm comparing to 10+ mm of MDF.
    I think the improvement to the build is insignificant.

Perhaps, a thicker front baffle may be responsible for the difference.

regards,

KK lee

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I disagree. ;) Build and quality of construction material can make a big difference to the sound. A stronger cabinet resists internal vibration better too. I'm not disagreeing about a diff. baffle having no effect either. All-in-all it appears to be a subtle, but (according to WHF) effective update of a fantastic (IMO) speaker range. Looks much nicer than the vinyl finish too. :)