Real Racing on i-phone by Firemint

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Just been reading about this game over at pocketgamer and it has to be said it looks stunning for an i-phone game, leagues ahead of any DS racer that I've seen and perhaps even gives the majority of PSP racers a run for their money.

YouTube - Firemint Real Racing E3 Trailer

iPhone preview, Real Racing, Pocket Gamer

No idea what the price will be but apparently it'll be hitting the app store next Monday. Think this'll be the first game I purchase from the app store priced above 59p:D

kempez

That looks immense, I may just have to pick it up :D

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Agreed, this looks great! Will certainly have to pick it up on release. :thumbsup:

Fatbob1080

Yep me too. Is it today its out? Dont suppose theres online multiplayer is there? Cant check, site blocked at work :cool:

I wasnt much for need for speed, prefer the ridgeracer feel of fastlane racing. And pole position is good retro fun :)

Last edited:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Yep me too. Is it today its out? Dont suppose theres online multiplayer is there? Cant check, site blocked at work :cool:

Yep, I just purchased it:) It's priced at £5.99 and my initial impressions are that it's worth five times that price, it really is superb and the controls are the most responsive I've come across so far on the i-phone.

There is multiplayer but local wifi only, no actual online multiplayer although there is leaderboards etc.

I have to go out in a minute but can't wait to get back and start on my career, only played quick race so far but couldn't be more impressed with what I've seen so far:cool:

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Looks amazing, only reason I have not clicked 'buy' is that I have concerns over the battery, I can just imagine this game eats it.

Could anyone confirm after playing, just how it stands up to a good session.

:)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Looks amazing, only reason I have not clicked 'buy' is that I have concerns over the battery, I can just imagine this game eats it.

Could anyone confirm after playing, just how it stands up to a good session.

Seems surprisingly friendly on the battery. Just been playing career for over half an hour, as well as having wifi on and registering an account/player profile online, plus the time it took to download and have a couple quick races this morning, battery has lost a little less than a quarter:)

One slight niggle I have is that the game doesn't seem to save settings(unless it will now I've linked my profile), so you have to turn music off and braking assist down each time you fire the game up, no doubt be addressed in a patch though and only minor complaint. Would also like to have a mini map as I'm not the best at memorising courses:rolleyes:

Overall though I'm loving this game so far, hugely impressive for the platform and controls like a dream! AI are a little aggressive:)

Oh, and for those that like to play using the chase cam, I had a little go and found it very hard, went straight back to in-car which for me is pretty well perfect.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Just downloading as we speak! Can't wait! :thumbsup: Long download though.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Great game! The controls are a bit fiddly at times, but are very good when you consider that you are playing on an iphone! The visuals are nice and the graphics are smooth once you turn the music off. :D

All in all a bargain at £5.99!:thumbsup:

Razor

Distinguished Member
The controls are a bit fiddly at times,

Always the way with mobile phone games. I gave up trying to game on mobiles and just bought a psp. :)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Always the way with mobile phone games. I gave up trying to game on mobiles and just bought a psp. :)

I would say the controls on this particular game is leagues ahead of serious racing games on the DS, I remember buying Race Driver and barely playing as I just couldn't get on with the controls.

Sold my PSP years ago but I don't remember being overly happy with the racers on there either, the nub would have been a decent control method but it's position made it very awkward to use(at least for those of us with big hands).

The tilt up/down gives very nice acurate and sensitive sweep steering and works much better than the side tilting method used in Cro Mag Rally for instance(where I always found on screen reflections killed it).

Now if Firemint would just make a rally game for the i-phone next then I would be a happy man:D

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member

Had a PSP since just after the Japanese launch and the iphone is the better gaming platform IMO. The controls are usually very good and Real Racing is fantastic once you've got used to the controls. I wouldn't compare gaming on the iphone to a normal mobile though. Gaming on the N95 for instance was rubbish, unless you used a Wii controller hooked upto it via Bluetooth and that was hardly feasible on the move.

Haggler

That looks really nice, hell i'm tempted to come out of my retro gaming slumber and endulge :rolleyes:

Razor

Distinguished Member
Had a PSP since just after the Japanese launch and the iphone is the better gaming platform IMO. The controls are usually very good and Real Racing is fantastic once you've got used to the controls. I wouldn't compare gaming on the iphone to a normal mobile though. Gaming on the N95 for instance was rubbish, unless you used a Wii controller hooked upto it via Bluetooth and that was hardly feasible on the move.

I have played a few things on the iphone and none have really impressed me in terms of controls. I have played a racing game (dont know which one) where you have to tilt to turn and I didnt like it.

Personally I like the psp controls and the only type of game is falls over with is first person shooters due to not having dual analogue sticks. Other than that I think its an excellent little games machine. :)

BTW I didnt know you could hook up a wii controller to a N95. I had loads of games for that phone but again the control system was as you say rubbish.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
I have played a few things on the iphone and none have really impressed me in terms of controls. I have played a racing game (dont know which one) where you have to tilt to turn and I didnt like it.

Personally I like the psp controls and the only type of game is falls over with is first person shooters due to not having dual analogue sticks. Other than that I think its an excellent little games machine. :)

BTW I didnt know you could hook up a wii controller to a N95. I had loads of games for that phone but again the control system was as you say rubbish.

You must have been playing different games to me mate. Try :-

Virtual Pool
Blocked
Monopoly
Sentinel
Flight Control (another great Firemint game)
Real Racing

They all control very well and are fantastic mobile games :thumbsup:.

The PSP controls are OK, but I find the analogue control to be a bit out of position. I've got a PSP 1000 and that is also a bit uncomfortable to hold, but I guess they've corrected that with the newer versions. It is a great console though and I love the remote play feature (ideal for watching TV on the toilet :D). The thing with it is that I never take it out of the home as there's no other reason to and it's something else to cart about as well.

The iphone is always on me for gaming on the move. :)

Razor

Distinguished Member
I dont have an iphone but a friend does. What I did try looked nice but the controls didnt suit me.

I resisted getting a psp for years mainly because I didnt want to have to carry it around for the odd game. In that respect I would rather have a mobile capable of playing games. However I do really like my psp (3000) and it has actually impressed me allot more than I thought it would. :)

Last edited:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
The thing with it is that I never take it out of the home as there's no other reason to and it's something else to cart about as well.

The iphone is always on me for gaming on the move. :)

Hit the nail exactly on the head for me there, had two PSP's(JAP one on launch, then a US one) and got rid of them for the very same reason, portable gaming on a not very(practically) portable device, when I needed it most I never had the damn thing on me. The i-phone on the other hand is always with me so great for gaming when I get the chance away from home and consoles.

Also have virtual pool and flight control, great little games and only 59p each:eek: So many great games at that price(Stoneloops, Azken, Uniwar, AirportMania to name a few!) that I don't even need to think about it too much, just buy and play:D Real Racing is the only game I've bought above 59p so far but certainly don't regret it!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65413

Outside off the iphone the only other really portable gaming device is the GBA Micro. Set this up with an EFA Linker and 4GB card and your laughing.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom