• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

real madrid - arsenal, vertical bars on screen

talkinloud

can anyone tell me why these bars suddenly appeared as game kicked off, black vertical bars either side of screen

It sounds like the match was filmed in 4:3 (not widescreen) but the broadcaster is adding these bars to pad out the extra space. The picture was filmed with a different shape to your TV.

neilmcl

It's the usual thing with foreign outside broadcasts. Filmed in 4:3 and picked up by ITV who broadcast it within their widescreen broadcast. Not a lot you can do about it I'm afraid.

talkinloud

thanks chaps.

meath man

what tv do you have? im watching it on my 28 inch 16:9 widescreen panasonic crt tv and there is no bars on either side of the screen

skap7309

Banned
neilmcl said:
It's the usual thing with foreign outside broadcasts. Filmed in 4:3 and picked up by ITV who broadcast it within their widescreen broadcast. Not a lot you can do about it I'm afraid.
Got it in one!

SRR

meath man said:
what tv do you have? im watching it on my 28 inch 16:9 widescreen panasonic crt tv and there is no bars on either side of the screen

You are not watching it through a digital signal or you have your set top box set to 4:3.

CYMRAES

Bars here on sky and freeview - 32WLT58 LCD. set to 16.9. I have noticed this while watching olympics also, it must be filmed 4.3.

tugboatbill

Standard Member
On my recently purchased Sony 32" crt there were no bars, but bars or not BIG congratulations to the whole of Arsenal for an astounding result and 110% commitment from the skipper to the goalie - well done the gunners :)

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
No bars on my (4:3) 25" Sony. ;)

Well done to the Gooners though. Pity about Liverpool.

sdb123

Distinguished Member
can anyone tell me why these bars suddenly appeared as game kicked off, black vertical bars either side of screen

IME, this is always the case with ITV broadcasts of Champions League games (from abroad). You could try to adjust the settings of your TV to compensate...).

Steve:)

jimthetrain

Standard Member
CYMRAES said:
Bars here on sky and freeview - 32WLT58 LCD. set to 16.9. I have noticed this while watching olympics also, it must be filmed 4.3.
Same here but you get a full screen on anologue but poorer picture quality

aRCaM said:
yeah lyris is spot on, sometimes they even film in 14:9 just to completely do your head in.
Oh dear... BBC, the only broadcaster in the world arrogant enough to actually invent their own aspect ratios on top of the established ones. But these games are on ITV, right? Surprises me to see them use it.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone - I'm sure it was BBC who invented this confusing mess.

mattressback

mine started off fine through sky but as soon as i pressed the select button on the sky remote the screen changed to with the bars on either side, was still fine through terrestrial tho.

this always happens with itv footie broadcats, not every one but often enough so that i wasnt worried

mike

po_man

BTW, weren't Arsenal awesome?!!

hottstuff said:
yes 4:3 here also.
Anyone else notice the awful PQ compared to sky sports
I'm no sports fan so take this with a pinch of salt, but I remember seeing some rugby game from Australia on ITV2 and it looked as though it had been compressed twice, and we all know how bad sports can look on digital TV when they've only been through the MPEG-2 squasher once. Where do ITV get their feed from? Is it just an on the fly recompression of some other broadcasters'?

hottstuff

Banned
Lyris said:
I'm no sports fan so take this with a pinch of salt, but I remember seeing some rugby game from Australia on ITV2 and it looked as though it had been compressed twice, and we all know how bad sports can look on digital TV when they've only been through the MPEG-2 squasher once. Where do ITV get their feed from? Is it just an on the fly recompression of some other broadcasters'?

yes well i got a blurry pixelated picture.
and could barely make out the arsenal squad , only that i know theyre outlines well.
on sky sports i can read numbers and names on shirts:lesson:

blakey1

The PQ was pretty decent on my P50e but not quite as good as Sky. Please tell me that I dont have to put up with these black lines for the world cup!!!!. If I change the Sky+ box to 4:3 will the black bars disappear? If it wasnt Arsenal yesterday I would not have even bothered watching. I cant watch TV like this!!

hottstuff

Banned
po_man said:
BTW, weren't Arsenal awesome?!!

yes they were , and have reinstated the belief amongst the fans , MINE INCLUDED.
henry is king and shows he can still shock the best , and shows his passion for the club still , NAMELY: the henry takle on his friend and countryman Zidane
steady on thierry , you could have broke his leg man :D
:thumbsup:

hottstuff

Banned
blakey1 said:
The PQ was pretty decent on my P50e but not quite as good as Sky. Please tell me that I dont have to put up with these black lines for the world cup!!!!. If I change the Sky+ box to 4:3 will the black bars disappear? If it wasnt Arsenal yesterday I would not have even bothered watching. I cant watch TV like this!!

yes change the sky setting to 4:3 does resolve this and goes to fullscreen
but the PQ is even worse:thumbsdow

davidac

The picture quality was perfect on my TV, no bars, no pixilation. Oh yes, my TV is a 4:3 analogue 50Hz CRT which cost £300 a few years ago, thats progress for you. I do have to put up with bars or cropped images with virtually all broadcasts now though. But the match wasn't noticably pixilated even through freeview.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom