1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Disappointment

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pclarke, Aug 9, 2003.

1. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having purchased a Panasonic PS1 from JL for a good price I thought I had got myself a TV.....

However, three TVs later I am totally disappointed. All TVs have suffered from convergence errors to the left of the screen which is very obvious in gritty films like 'saving private ryan' as the edges can look purple.

Took my T2 disc (THX optimiser) around the shops today and found that most TVs with the Panasonic tube fitted suffer in a similar way -WHAT CR*P!. Only Sony TVs seem to have good geometry and convergence. Now thinking about the Sony FX68 - any comments?

Other problems with my current TV are naff geometry, a green spot (about 1cm2) present when the TV is in stand by and a scratch on the top case. NO QUALITY CONTROL!

Oh well...sorry to any one who bought one of these tvs on my recommendation - I take it all back. :mad:

Even a Goodmans TV had better convergence than the Panny.

Is the Sony a safe bet?

Thanks

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    All large CRTs (including Sony's) will be prone to some convergence errors, and/or purity problems and/or instability. It is inherent in CRTs, the larger, the worse. If you get one, free of all these, count yourself fortunate. QC tolerances, are, unfortunately, much wider than some of us would like.

The only way to be free, completely, of convergence, purity and stability problems is to go Flat Panel (LCD or Plasma). But then you get into accelerated decrepitude, poor resolution or grey blacks.

No one has yet made (commercially) the perfect TV.

3. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Nigel - plasma a bit expensive at the mo ;)

I realise no tv is perfect and never will be. However, as the convergence error affects about 1/5 of the screen and even my girlfriend (who normally can't notice things like this goes) pointed out the problem and the bad geometry, I then knew the TV had to go back.

Convergence on the Sonys (from those I have seen) is far better than Panasonic. I think they may have a manufacturing problem as a friend has a PL1 and this does not suffer in the way my current PS1 does. Contacted JL and it is going back.

What TV do you have Nigel??

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Movie viewing is via a Sony VW10HT LCD projector onto a 9ft (diagonal) screen.

Regular TV viewing is on a Samsung LW22A13 22 inch LCD TV.

The other room has a 15 inch 4x3 LG LCD TV.

(You might have guessed by now that I am distracted easily by the typical artefacts of colour CRTs).