Ready to purchase hdmi player which?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gadgetman, Dec 30, 2004.

1. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Okay I`m fed up of using my xbox as my dvd player for my pioneer 434. I have been hanging on to see what hdmi player to buy but would like an opinion and some advice.

1st choice Samsung dvd hd 945 I know these are hard to find but I have set my eyes on one. Have also seen a Samsung dvd hd935 that is only dvi.
    (Am I right in thinking the hdmi is just dvi plus sound?) If so whay not go for a cheaper 935.

2nd choice Panasonic s97.

I believe both the Samsung and the Panasonic upscale so has anyone seen these side by side.

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    i wouldnt go with any of those,as i think that they all use the DCDI chip that suffers from macroblocking.(maybe wrong) why not go for the pioneer 868i as that will match your display quite nicly, bit more expensive i know but would be a good choice with no MB in sight. or if you need a bit cheaper why not the pio 668.

3. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    From what I can tell, HDMI also supports longer cable runs (5m+) better than DVI. Something to do with the electronics in the cable (not technical enough to understand it yet!)

Just bought a Panny s97 myself, but havent compared to the Samsung, so cant comment there. V happy with my purchase though :)

I think I am correct in saying that whilst both do suffer from macroblocking (which is highly display dependent - some people dont see it), the Panny uses a more expensive Farourja chip (same as in the Denon 3910) whilst the Samsungs use the same chip as the cheaper Denons (2910 & 1910)

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    HDMI is not the same as DVI there are a few differences(not including the sound capability). but there all a bit techy to explain at this time of night, er morning. HDMI is more future friendly
    and is able to produce better video if we ever get past present limitation like 8bit processing for dvd. Think HDMI supports upto 12bit. dvi is limited to 8bit
    HDMI can also pass an interlaced signal, dvi needs progressive but i think thats due to its computer based roots

The 3910 has MB on some of its output resolutions (1080i) and after looking at the usa forums so does the panasonic but more severe.