1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to order Denon

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by tmsonania, Feb 28, 2005.

1. tmsonania

tmsonania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody, been reading posts, reviews, comments for the last two days and have to say this forum is unique :thumbsup: .

My situation is that i have around £450-550 for an 'all in one system' and not more than £350 for a wide screen TV :rolleyes: . Now done some home work, called few online retailers and this is how it stands (i hope it helps somebody else too)

I have pretty much decided that i am going to go for Denon 550 :smashin: (not sure though what is the difference between DHT and ADV) ?

This is how it looks

Peter Tyson - £599 + £15 (delv)
    Avland - £649.95 (inc delv)
    Qed - £542.88 + £14.55
    Unbeatable (Multi Region) - £602.98 + £7.99
    Superfi - £579.95 (inc devl)
    Digital - £564.96 + £14.99

Now if somebody can tell me if there is an offer cheaper than that (my pref is multi region) then i will really appreciate :lease: .

Also what is the best wide screen TV i can buy for under £350 ...

Also what is 'freeview' and do i really need it ? :confused:

Thanks
    Tarun

2. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Hi Tarun

Of the retailers listed, the top two regularly score highly for service and friendliness so I don't think you'll go too far wrong with either of them.

As for cheaper offers, it may be worth your while finding out if John Lewis a) stock the product you're after and b) whether they can price-match the prices you have (mind though that they won't price-match internet only offers/companies). They provide free delivery, free 5 years parts & labour warranty and excellent service.

For widescreen TV's I'd suggest doing a seach in the relevant forum; it's worth going for the biggest screen size you can, don't know if a 32" box will come in under your price limit without it being compromised on quality but worth making the effort for.

FreeView is the digital TV offering served up by BBC/SKY that requires a set-top box and little else but gives you about 30 or so free-to-air digital channels and a bunch of radio stations. You need to first whether you can receive the transmission in your area (go to www.freeview.co.uk). Is worth it if you don't have SKY or cable, the stb;s are very cheap.

Happy shopping.

ALI

3. tmsonania

tmsonania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kismet for your cool points. I did think of calling John Lewis for a price match but i am not sure if any of these have a retail store. or do they ?

32'' are available on ebay around that price (although i have to find out how good the models are).

I have just called Unbeatable to match the lowest price i have and guess what ...

bump; they haven't called me back yet. i will have to call again.

I am not sure how easy is to convert region 2 to all region. Although i know one of the thread points to some firmware download. Does that work or somebody has had any problem with it ?

Cheers

4. tmsonania

tmsonania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    somehow i am still sure there is a cheaper offer out there for Denon 550...

5. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    One thing - Pete Tyson arrange and pay for the shipping back to base and return to you in the event of a fault developing whislt under guarantee. Many online retailers do not do this (you pick up the cost).

6. tmsonania

tmsonania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aha, thats a good one nathanhill.

btw I just found one more website and confused even more

HiFix - £599.95 (Multi region and inc delv)

How is the product support from Superfi ? Did anybody have problems returning / replacing item when faulty ?

I need to order it today so will appreciate feedback.

Cheers

7. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sorry, it's a bit late in the day but most stores will put their returns policy in their T&C's.

8. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Can not recommend Peter Tyson highly enough, service is excellent.

On the multi region mod - I destroyed my 500 by screwing up the multi region process. By destroyed I mean it was unrepairable - the unit was replaced. Unless you are very sure about what you are doing, get your retailer to do it.

9. tmsonania

tmsonania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Con. I thought so and had doubt about making it multi region.

Took a decision and then ordered it from Superfi for £579.75 (multi region and delv included). Now can't wait for it to be delivered

The big problem begins with which TV to buy ?

I like Sony 28'' and quite tempted to up my budget to £400-£500. But at the same time i am so confused with so many threads suggesting doing a price match with John Lewis. So thats what i did just now.

It seems i have to walk into a John Lewis store and not via online. So have started my research and its endless. The more i look for threads the longer it appears.

What are the differences between so many models (i know i want 50 Hz now) :eek:

Sony KD28... KV28... Some are FX and some CS and some are DX and DL :rolleyes:

Help please...

10. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Why not 100hz? I have a Sony KV28FX60 100hz and have been perfectly happy. (just off to research current Sony models for you...not that I want a new TV myself.... ;) )

11. tmsonania

tmsonania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... dnt know, have heard so much about 100Hz and problems with fast moving clips. It put me off.

Is that true about problem with fast moving clips ? besides 100 Hz TV cost more.

12. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I have never noticed a problem myself. I have had it for around 3-4 years so maybe I am used to it...The picture is certainly sharper than a standard set.

13. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Just before Christmas, I think it was Curry's were doing a special offer on a Panasonic 32" widescreen with inbuilt digital receiver. I have the 28" version of the same TV (the 32" wasn't on offer then :mad: ) and am well pleased with it.
    I think it was on offer for either £449 or £499.00
    I know this is stretching your budget a little bit but bearing in mind you won't have to spend £70 or so on a decent set top box, makes sense?
    Plus you won't have to find room for the set top box itself as it is intergrated.
    The picture quality of digital is worth the little bit extra even if you only end up watching terrestrial stations in my opinion.
    Rob

14. tmsonania

tmsonania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm a bit late for that now. I ordered KD28DL11 from John Lewis yesterday. Although they pile on the cheap DVD with it, i plan to sell it on ebay as i am already getting my denon soon. :D

I have been searching all the threads for connecting the TV (above), denon 550, NTL and sometimes my dell (it has s-video). And i have to say i had to derive what i can as there were many views on which is best.

RGB SCART Optical
    SONY ------->Denon DVD ------->Denon Amp

SCART
    SONY ------->NTL

PHONO (L,R)
    NTL --------->Denon Amp

Oops, i think i missed the S-video completely. I think i do need some switcher device ?

15. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Wait until you have got it and have a play :D I doubt you will need a switcher to attach that stuff - there are plenty of connections on the Denon.

16. tmsonania

tmsonania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: got a call from superfi ... they won't deliver it to my gf's place as my card is registered at my flat. Damn it ... after a lot of talking i convinced them to take a direct bank payment.

Sadly it has delayed the whole thing by 2-3 days. Otherwise i would be playing with it tomorrow morning. Ughs :mad: i really need a :beer: now although its hardly lunch time.

Is it really 21st century :eek: ... where they can even track where you left your half chewed gum last night, they still won't deliver it to where i live.

17. tmsonania

tmsonania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :offtopic: I didn't believe at first the people rent 'old' tv's from here ...

http://www.tvmuseum.co.uk/

infact they don't have the model (Decaa 22) which my gf's has in her attic ... i tested it the other day its brilliant ... crystal sharp picture with NTL plugged in.

18. tmsonania

tmsonania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1 day to go b4 i get my denon 550 :D