Ready to buy an 37" Lcd Tv...

turco

Hi everyone,

Its really hard to find and buy the stuff which has the best price/quality ratio because they dont come cheap :)

So i still use a CRT in my living room and want to buy a LCD. I decided on 37" because difference between 37" and 40" is not that much i think. I checked different brands and models and decided on Samsung finally.

So i have 2 models in mind: Samsung LE37R88 (730 GBP) and Samsung LE37M87 (860 GBP).

I search alot in the internet for the 2 models and read alot. I will mainly use it for watching DVDs at home (maybe later BluRay Discs). HD Cable is not popular in Hungary right now and BluRay Disc Players are way expensive to buy.

So i think the difference between 2 models are resolution and contrast ratios. Will the resolution make huge difference when i am watching DVD from HDMI source?

I dont want to pay an extra 130 GBP for something i will not notice.

Thanks in advance

ChrisGgr

So for you the best is thr 37R88!!!

turco

Thx man for answering

Dont you think i will need the better resolution later on? And if i put the 2 lcd s next to each other where can i see the difference if we think of the resolution? DVDs or HDTV?

ChrisGgr

The difference is very little an you will see it on HD.

turco

Do you have any other models in mind at this price range which supports 1080p and 37" ???

ChrisGgr

So you changed your mind and go for the 1080p?Anyway have a look at the Toshiba 37X3030 and the Sharp LC-37XD1

turco

:) i read alot in the internet about the resolutions, connections and what the media is supporting now and i understood that 1080p will be commonly used soon. So why not paying some extra bucks and buy something good.

I will check those also, thx for the help mate...

badbob

Banned
If you're planning in buying HD-DVD or Blu-Ray then it makes sense to buy a 1080p screen. Those formats downscaled to 720p will still look good, but there is processing involved.

DVD-Video's look great scaled to 1080p, just buy a decent DVD 1080p scaler. Got Oppo 981 with Samsung M87 40"

turco

One more question guys:

Should i be concerned buying an LCD which its lamp can be changed after sometime ??? Or you say i dont need this feature, anyways i will get another one with newer features after 4-5 years??? :)

Regards

badbob

Banned
LCD backlight is something like 40,000 hours. Although it does dim with time, I would guess when it does you'll want to upgrade anyway. The cost of a replacement backlight would be uneconomical, just buy a new screen.

turco

thx bob. i was calculating the life span yesterday with my usage. I dont have time to watch tv, i only use tv to watch movies and football if i have time so 4 hrs a day will make around 14000 hrs in 10 yrs :D

i am sure i would get a new one around that time to my son :D

D

Deleted member 188495

the m87 is better as its full hd, compared to the r87/r88

king2001

Hi turco,

have you thought about this 37" set from Philips?

The 32" version seems to be pretty good although there is an acknowledged "handshake" problem with SkyHD.

Whether this affects the slightly better specified 37" set is unknown but someones got to give it a go!

Regards,

Jonathan

Whoops! Just noticed your price range and unless it's heavily discounted in Hungary then this set will be way above that (around £1300 in the UK).

Sorry!

Guillelle

Standard Member
I'm in the same situation and right now i'm considering only a couple of 37" models. My baseline is 1080p and 100Hz.

So far i've found:

- Toshiba Regza 37Z3030D (not yet on sale)
- Philips 9732 (as mentioned before) or even better, the 9632 with the same specs but with a different ambilight system that saves about 200€ here in spain.

There's also the new Panasonic 37" LCD (TX-37LZD70F) but i'm not sure yet wether it have a 100Hz panel. Currently it's shown in the spanish panasonic website but not in UK one: http://www.panasonic.es/fichamod.asp?codegam=467&coderang=23&codeprd=47&codemod=3121&codeagr=

Widge

The new Panasonic is something like 1030mm wide! Which puts it at larger than a 40"!

I'm keeping an eye on the same ones as you except with the new Sharp's into the bargain.

Guillelle

Standard Member
The new Panasonic is something like 1030mm wide! Which puts it at larger than a 40"!

I'm keeping an eye on the same ones as you except with the new Sharp's into the bargain.

I couldn't find a 37" model on the new sharp's 100Hz panels, they only offer 37" in the X20 series.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom