Ready Player One 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

I bough this yesterday as was holding out to see if the price dropped from pre-orders.
Great review and spot on. Any 80s and 90s kids would relate to this (unless you were popular in school :rotfl:)
Absolutely loved this film. So many epic nods to the old days and it was like reliving my youth.
I think my wife got annoyed by the amount of time I spent bouncing on my seat saying " did you see that!, did you get that reference. Wow can you remember that". Like a kid all over again!
The only downfall for me is the use of grain. I fall into the category of viewers who prefer less grain and more razor sharp edged and borderline unrealistic realism ( but this might be the TV I'm using).
I was over the moon to see the Iron Giant brought back which almost brought a tear to my eye remembering the movie it came from.

I watched this on Blu-ray and thought it was amazing (No spoilers here)
as said the storyline is about escapism so if you take a timeout from reality and dont expect any more than that it delivers
even on SDR BR the visuals and audio are awesome you would swear you were watching it in HDR
Being in my 60s and having never played a video game it allowed me to join the "gaming world" for a short period of time

I also of course remember the 80s and could appreciate the references to that period some of which might be lost on a younger generation
because there is so much going on it is a film that demands a second viewing
for me it's a definite must own disc

Edit: I would imagine its also a must have in 3D

Last edited:
I watched it in 3d last night .This was the first time I've watch the film I can't ever imagine myself watching it in 2d as the 3d was spectacular and so a integral part of the story.

They don't include the 3D disk with UHDs do they? Not unless you get the triple play ones but ive not seen them for a long time (used to be Blue ray, 3d and DVD). Now days you just get UHD and blue ray. 3D is a dying format which I a shame as it was fun and did have its uses.

I am wishing I had got the 3D now because you also get the BR which has the Dolby Atmos track
Unusual for me but I might have to double dip on this one

I just wish they would include Atmos on the 3d disc. I watched the 3d on Monday and it was visually stunning, I watched the 2d with Atmos last night and that was aurally stunning, but I want them both together

Last edited:
It was entertaining enough. But I was left wondering where the Spielberg flair was. It felt like it could have been directed by anyone.

This wasn't the visual tour de force I was expecting. To be honest it was quite disappointing. And then there's the grain.
If you're talking about the Shining scene, surely you can appreciate the artistic merit in the amount of grain?

Watched it via Rakuten last night in Dolby Vision and thought the PQ was excellent.

Watched it in 3D last night, was a little disappointed with the 3D to be honest, there were so many opportunities for some real pop out and distance effects, but for the most part it was a fairly "contained" level of 3D.

Also irritated that the Atmos audio isn't on the 3D disc.

That's the second time I've seen it and sadly I just don't think it's all that. The promise is there, but despite all the 80's references and countless nods to other franchises, this just doesn't wow me like I hoped it would.

Unlikely to pick up in UHD unless it's in the bargain bin for under a tenner one day

Thanks for the Honest Review Simon. For some bizarre reason, it doesn't come out in 4K on Disk in Germany until September 6th, so no chance to buy or rent the 4K disk until then.
Hmm. Could rent it on Itunes, but then stuck with the 5.1 Soundtrack :thumbsdow
...Buy from UK, but then it gets pricey. Especially if it's not a keeper.
Oh my, the First World Problems I face! :laugh:

Watched it last night on uhd pretty good film but a lot of the scenes had a light behind them that obscured all the detail like in the screen shots of the review so it didn't feel very 4k, still i'm sure it looked better than on dvd !

Watched this for the first time on itunes and i have to say despite it looking great, I didn't enjoy the film itself. This in all fairness is probably due to the fact that the book is one of my favourites and having read it and listened to it several times, the story shown in the movie is nowhere near as good as the book.
I just found myself moaning about so many good parts that were left out or how they changed things for the movie that was worse.

How come you guys don't review 3D anymore? Would've been interested in one for this.

Most of the Oasis shots are reference-level 4k in my opinion. Looks stunning. Some of the real-world stuff was a little soft-looking though...only a little, but it felt like a blemish.

Film itself was decent, but as has been said above, it didn't really feel like a Spielberg film apart from some of the camera-work and, of course, his trademark God-light. The film also feels about twenty minutes too long...

Worth watching for the visuals alone. But...ultimately disappointing...

I watched this last night on an Atari Jaguar while taking a bath....The grain isn't my biggest issue , it's condensation, or for those that don't know - when your screen steams-up........
Is there somewhere I can complain about condensation?
I mean, it's 2018 it shouldn't be happening anymore....

:D

I watched this last night on an Atari Jaguar while taking a bath....The grain isn't my biggest issue , it's condensation, or for those that don't know - when your screen steams-up........
Is there somewhere I can complain about condensation?
I mean, it's 2018 it shouldn't be happening anymore....

:D

Try taking Cold Baths - the Clarity of the Image is AMAZING! :D

EDIT: I just checked the limited edition All Weather Jaguar Manual. It says, & I quote

"For best image results, this unit should be viewed while sitting in a bath with water at a temperature of between 0 and minus 273.15 degrees Celsius
WARNING! Temperatures below 273.15 degrees Celsius may cause the image to Freeze periodically"

Edit 2: Impressive lower temperature for Water - must be that pure Glacier Water you can get

Last edited:
There is no need to talk about the Oasis, reference 4k, end of....

But I have seen a few reviews where people say that the "Stacks" doesn't look great because the colours are a little washed out? It's perfect, not only is the colour the obvious intent, but the contrast, highlights, reflections and detail are still there. Cas* said that there is an "upturn in sharpness" when compared to the Blu Ray. I would say the daylight scenes in particular are and uptick in sharpness over any Blu Ray I can remember seeing.

I had no problems with the scenes with the light behind them, all the detail was still there. There is grain there, but I have to go right up to the TV to see it clearly, so maybe you guys have 65"+ screens or projectors.

*Sorry Simon :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Nice effects, easy story to relax to with plenty of references to the this and that and room rumbles. All in all it's well worth a look. Still, I did take the precaution of not watching with a teen present who'd be sure to question too much for comfort.

There is no need to talk about the Oasis, reference 4k, end of....

But I have seen a few reviews where people say that the "Stacks" doesn't look great because the colours are a little washed out? It's perfect, not only is the colour the obvious intent, but the contrast, highlights, reflections and detail are still there. Cas said that there is an "upturn in sharpness" when compared to the Blu Ray. I would say the daylight scenes in particular are and uptick in sharpness over any Blu Ray I can remember seeing.

I had no problems with the scenes with the light behind them, all the detail was still there. There is grain there, but I have to go right up to the TV to see it clearly, so maybe you guys have 65"+ screens or projectors.
Ohhh Phil, you big cuddly monkey remember TAHITI? yeah not cool

Thanks for the review simon watched it this afternoon and really enjoyed it, i thought the sound was realy good/immersive. :thumbsup:

not enough 80's nostalgia. The movie was still good in imax 3d but at home it doesn't cut it :(

Not having a go, but I kind of find it funny that some people are loving the 80's nostalgia, but then not liking the grain.

It's the kind of irony that appeals to me... :D

God, I miss the 80's.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom