Ready Player One (28 March 2018) directed by Steven Spielberg

Rate Me

• Total voters

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
A few names are said to be on Warner Bros. shortlist to helm sci-fi adventure story, Ready Player One, based on the novel by Ernest Cline.

The script is written by Zak Penn.

Directors rumoured are Robert Zemeckis, Edgar Wright, Peter Jackson, Matthew Vaughn and Christopher Nolan.

Book synopsis:
In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he’s jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade’s devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world’s digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator’s obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.

But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade’s going to survive, he’ll have to win—and confront the real world he’s always been so desperate to escape.
image.jpg

Looking forward to this one (even if it is a way out still).

Would love Zemeckis to get the job!

Listened to the Audio Book (read by Wil Wheaton). This could be good.

Steven Spielberg confirmed to direct

Greg Silverman, studio president, creative development and worldwide production;
“We are thrilled to welcome Steven back to Warner Bros. We had an historic series of collaborations in the 1980s and 1990s and have wanted to bring him back for years.”

This was a fun read and I'm looking forward to seeing it but I am wondering how it will work with the huge quantity of different IP's involved from Movies, TV and gaming?

Release date - 15 December 2017

Loved the book, a must read for any geek who grew up in the 80s and 90s imho - looking forward to the movie :)

Spielberg won't reference his own movies in Ready Player One
“The movie won’t have any of my films in it. I’m not putting myself in this movie. They reference so many ’80s movies. I’m doing the whole pop culture thing. I’m just going to leave myself out of it. I can’t do that. Too self-referential.

I’m trying to get the whole thing cast by the first of the year, and start shooting in July.”

Simon Pegg in talks to portray oasis co creator Og Morrow.

Olivia Cooke (“Me and Earl and the Dying Girl”) is set to play the female lead in the film, which was written by Zak Penn. Ben Mendelsohn will play the villain, an executive for an Internet corporation that has designs on Oasis.

Last edited:
Simon Pegg in talk to portray oasis co creator Og Morrow.

Olivia Cooke (“Me and Earl and the Dying Girl”) is set to play the female lead in the film, which was written by Zak Penn. Ben Mendelsohn will play the villain, an executive for an Internet corporation that has designs on Oasis.
Having read the book, I think Pegg's casing for that role is a bit off. A more mature actor is required here. Patrick Stewart would do nicely imo.

Speilberg collaborator Mark Rylance i(Russian in Bridge of spies, giant in The BFG) in talks to join Ready Player One

I've just read the book. I am seriously excited about this. It has the potential to be visually stunning.

Bugger. I've just read Pegend is in it.

Seriously itching for this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom