1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready for the plunge - But..

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wisgb, Mar 4, 2003.

1. wisgb

wisgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm ready to take the plunge into the world of Plasmas, and after viewing several plasma's, my wife and I (Yep I've even got my wife excited at the prospect!) have decided the Panasonic Plasma looks the best. However, it's a big minefield and despite reading this forum for a month or so now, I'm still confused as to the best screen to suite our needs.

I watch mostly films and Sky TV, never terrestrial TV. I have an SVHS video, and Xbox both outputting S-video switched through my Denon AVC-a10se.

I have a multi-region Sony DVDS7700 DVD player that outputs componant or RGB. My Sky box is outputting RGB via scart to the DVD --> TV.

The majority of my DVD's are Region 1, and therefore NTSC.

We'd love the Pana 50", but cost is proving hard to justify. If we settle for the Pana 42", which model should I buy? Can I also ask the following:

- Would I benefit from a true XVGA HD model?

- Would I need a de-interlacer to get the best from SKY?

- The guy in the Panasonic shop advises the D4 models look better than the D5 model, is this true? (Or are they tying to clear old stock?)

- I don't want a Tuner, so it looks like I'll need a terminal board. Are these shipped with the screen or do they have to be ordered seperately?

- Is there anything else I should consider, or need to get the best possible connection and picture quality?

Sorry for so many questions, but there's a lot of holes in my knowledge. :confused:

Thanks

W1SGB

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the wonderful world of plasma.... so many sources, so many options!

You are right to be concerned, the size of the screens can show up poor quality material very quickly.

My recommendations:

DVD via component into the plasma
    Sky via JS tech RGB to VGA into the VGA port
    Amp output into S-Video in on plasma

Will you benefit from XVGA, jury is out as to whether it is worth it, I went for standard definition, with my region 1 DVD collection growing quickly it has the advantage of being native rate in the vertical aspect (480 lines). Wait for the hi res brigade, I know they are out there waiting to jump on me.... :)

Do you need a deinterlacer/scaler to get the best out of Sky? A JS Tech RGB to VGA takes some beating, but the IScan Ultra does it, is it worth £850 extra? I am not so sure, Many have done this, but I'm not one of them - yet....

The D4 models are generally perceived to flicker less, but only very sensitive people notice this.

The tuner is an expensive addition, the terminal board usually ships as standard in the Panasonics if you haven't ordered the tuner, and the addition of the JS Tech RGB -> VGA box will solve your connection issues.

Good luck and once again welcome....

James

3. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again - welcome to the uncomplicated world of plasmas.
    Agree with most of James' comments.

Panasonics are supposedly in short supply at the moment (probably why they were pushing the 4, rather than the 5). Don't forget Toshiba is a rebadged Panasonic (usually cheaper, especially in silver). Pannys come with 1-year swap out, Toshibas with 2-yr RTB.

Don't bother with the (expensive tuner). Go with James' recommendations for connections (hence ensure you get the terminal board!), and let things settle down for a bit. Start buying expensive kit when you know what you want to improve...

Whatever you do, it won't stop the wow! factor, or the grin on your face when you watch a DVD through component...

4. wisgb

wisgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks muchly for your comments, much appreciated.

I went into the Panasonic Shop in Reading today for an long chat etc.

The cheapest they will sell me a TH42PW5 is £4079.. Ouch!!! That does include the £350 wall brackets, delivery and setup etc. (not cables) Can anyone recommend a good place to buy one of these? What's the best price I can expect to pay?

What made me chuckle was the fact that he said "to get the best connection from your DVD use a scart to S-video connection in on the terminal board" Despite telling him that I have componant out!! :laugh:

He even tried to justify the the cost of the wall brackets by saying that the plasma screens are extremely heavy and need these panasonic only brakets.!!!

Anyway, the last post stated the Toshiba's are rebadged Pannys. is it just that a rebadge, or are there diffrences under the skin?

Is the price difference notable, or worth sticking with a Panny?

Thanks again..

W1SGB

5. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

www.tmfsolutions.co.uk

Joe frequents the forum, they sell the charcoal 42" for 3.5k

The unicol brackets are very good, about £130 from memory. Joe also sells the JS Tech boxes, so a good place to go for a one stop shop...

www.nexnix.co.uk is another good place, and a sponsor of this forum. They are SE based and the Toshiba is £2800 + VAT.

There is no difference (as far as I am aware) between the Panasonic and the Tosh, except the badge of course

:laugh:

James

6. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Got a Panansonic TH-42PW5B (plus RCA terminal board) in silver with a pedestal stand and 3m van damme component cable (for DVD) and 3m van damme vga cable (for sky +) together with a JS RGB>VGA convertor including delivery for £3.7k inc vat from ivojo.co.uk. I'm over the moon with it. The service was spot on, next day delivery and all items in stock. If you don't get any joy elsewhere give them a ring!

Hope you enjoy it.

7. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I knew that there was somewhere I'd missed.....

Thanks pwarren :smashin:

8. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds (wait for the flames) list the Toshiba 42PW27 at 2999.95 and the Panasonic 42PW5B at £3199.95. Extended warranty is £250. Delivery £50. Stock levels can be a bit iffy, but if its marked as 'in stock' on the website, delivery is usually within 7 days. The shops can order it for you (and you have someone to physically take it back to if it goes wrong).

I bought the Tosh a few weeks ago and have no complaints.