1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready for my first projector - good idea?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by saturday, Nov 4, 2003.

1. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Next year I hope to make some fairly major alterations to my home. As part of this I think I may be able to devote one of the new rooms to being a dedicated home theatre.

In the meantime I'm thinking about buying a cheapish projector to see how I and the family get on with it. If I do go the new room route, I'd then sell it and get a better one.

I'd appreciate your advice/opinion. Having read a number of comments on this forum about the Panasonic PT AE200 I thought that this would be a good starting point. To fit in with how we've got the house arranged currently, I'd have to set the projector up in a less than perfect spot though: a projection distance of about 12' onto a matt white painted wall. Seating is about 10' from the wall. I may need to use some keystone correction. Source will be almost exclusively DVD with very occasional Sky. Not sure about connection from DVD to projector. What is the length limit for component or S-Video cable?

I'd really appreciate some views here. Will the wall give a poor result? Will using keystone degrade the image? Are the distances too cramped? Would I be better off spending another £300 and getting the AE300 (better contrast/resolution/keystone)?

What I'm worried about is that I'll be disappointed with the result and that I should just save my money until I get the new room and can fit it out properly.

What do you think?

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    hi I have the ae300 and the image I get from dvd is incrdible using a decent dvd player mine is sony ns930 and a component lead which makes a huge difference from s-video and i do mean huge. From my ntl digital box the image is horrible compared to dvd. about the wall it does give a watchible image but I would highly recommend a blackout blind from b&q as the back of it which is white makes a huge difference in image quality. the ae300 can provide a gresat picture if it has the right source to play with. And make sure u get the room as dark as possible I built a 5 inch black frame around my screen which improves contrast as the light is not refleceted off. dont make a mistake and paint walls cream which reflects all the light away from screen. If u could get the wall around screen black it would improve contrast and brightness greatly.

hope this helps :)

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "If u could get the wall around screen black it would improve perceived contrast and brightness greatly" :smashin:

If you're going to upgrade anyway, I'd just go for the AE200 - nice entry to FP for £700.

:)

4. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Saturday,

Have you looked at the new Hitachi PJ-TX10 ?

This has a x 2 zoom lens and vertical/horizontal lens shift. This gives a very versatile setup for getting the screen image where you want it if your room is not a dedicated HC.

Also has a built in progressive scan feature.

Do a Google and you'll find it available for less than £1K. More details at www.hitachidigitalmedia.com

Also a US review here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=321468&highlight=Hitachi+Home1

Hope this helps.

Mr Sparkle

5. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice phillfyspoon . Unfortunately until I get my new room, I won't be allowed to start putting up screens/black frames :(

Kramer, take your point about the AE200 but because of the room layout I may need to use both V and H Keystone which the AE300 has. Do you have a view on how much of a difference using keystone will make to the perceived projected image - using a decent DVD player as source and a painted wall for the screen?

Mr Sparkle, thanks for the pointer to the Hitachi PJ-TX10. I'll check it out. Has anyone on the forum got/seen one?

6. Mr Sparkle

Mr Sparkle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Saturday,

Hitachi PJ-TX10, 'Has anyone on the forum got/seen one?' Yes, I have one. Now 2 weeks old.

I couldn't justify spending more than £1K on a HC projector. I took the plunge with the PJ-TX10 after seeing a demo and being impressed by the image and the vast flexibility of the lens setup. I must admit I was slightly sceptical about the 'lowish' resolution (854 x 480) but I am more than happy with the projected image.

I have it hooked up to a new Toshiba SD330 via a Denon AVR1803 (using component video) and the image (at least in my eyes) is superb. It is also used to view Sky (mainly sport) via composite video and again the images produced are perfectly OK.

I'm projecting on to a bare wall (Dulux Ivory matt emulsion in this instance), I'm sure it's not perfect and could be improved with a suitable screen, but it has exceeded my pre-purchase expectations.

Hope this helps.

Mr Sparkle