Readt To Buy A Plasma, But Help First Please!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by james_19742000, May 9, 2005.

1. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi all,

Me and the wife are going to redecorate the lounge and looks like she is going to let me invest in some new technology!!!

We went and had a look in town yesterday at some, and we are pretty sure a 37" would be what we would want, unless a 42" deal was very very good!

So we are looking for a reasonable quality 37" Plasama TV, it will be connected to a Sony DVD 5.1 Surround System, Sky Digibox and a standard VCR, so what do I need as after doing some searching on the net this morning they are mentioning tuners, media boxes etc?? Now confused! We just want a bog standard Plasma to replace our current CRT, we also want a nice glass stand as we dont have a wall suitable for wall mounting.

Any ideas? We are looking at spending around £1500.

Thanks in advance for your help.

James

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    you don't need a tuner if you have sky and you don't need built in speakers because you have the surround sound so you basically just need the panel Richer Sounds are doing the 37" Panasonic PW7 for £999......I would dump the vcr and get a DVD recorder and at teh simplest you coul run sky through teh dvdr and connect the dvdr to the panel either using a scart board or a JS TEchnology RGB to VGA converter an dconnect it the standard vga input thus negating the need for a scart board. JS box is about £120, dvdr like the E55 is about £200 you can get a glass stand for about £200

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  4. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    thanks guys, so basically, all i need buy is just purely a simple panel, and then the DVD recorder and/or sky box does all the tuning etc and with the surround sound dvd player i have that would do the sound, so no need for anything else really, excellent thanks for your help guys, are panasonic panels any good???

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    they are excellent in my opinion (i have 2)

6. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    excellent, thanks for your help, presume i will notice a big difference over my current sony 28" wide screen CRT then!!!!

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    well it will be bigger :).....seriously though you should demo it.....what is fantastic to me may not be to you.......you don't see many unhappy panny users but best to be sure yourself...where are you looking to buy from?

8. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    to be honest, not bothered where i buy from, as long as i get a good deal, i looked at a 42" complete unit in Currys yesterday but they wanted £2800 not spending that much but was impressed with it, found similar unit on internet today for £1600 link is http://www.electrosaver.co.uk/product.asp?id=TH37PE50CAB

have a look let me know what you think to that??

9. DRowe

DRowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My curiosity has been aroused by the responses above! I have a Sony DVD recorder with integrated freeview receiver (DGX500). Can I plug this straight into the Panasonic screen with NO intermediate boxes?

Tnx,
    David.

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    you need a scart or component board on the panel or a converter between scart (on your dvdr)and the vga port on the panel (vga is fitted as standard)

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    It's fine if you want an 'out of the box tv' but as you already have sky and surround you are paying for an integrated tuner and speakers that you don't really need

12. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd want the 37PE50 personally.

Seen as the panel only option comes to £1500ish for the package you want/need, then its just £100 for a lot more: a big jump in picture quality (the PE50 uses the new G8 panel - see philfyspoon''s comparison - he has both), the convenience of it being a full TV (remote controls, number of boxes switched on, ease of use, integrated Freeview and analogue etc), a consumer styling and purpose-designed matching glass stand...as well as the chance to pricematch with John Lewis and get a free 5 year warranty.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    YES.............................................
    but you will need an input board space for 3, a component input is £85 ish, Scart £150 (not very good tho)

(on the PWD6/PW6 all you needed was a cable, depending on your kit you may only need a cable)

14. robbie153

robbie153
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0