Reads DVD's but not CD's

stonking

Novice Member
Hi, I have a Pioneer BDC-202 which will read DVD's but not CD's. Do they have 2 lasers? Co-incidentally, or not my CD player only just rips CD's now and the Quality is shocking. Can this mean they need cleaning or is there something else going on? If it is just cleaning, anyone got any advice on the subject?

Ta

Stephen

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It sounds like the workings have been gummed up with excess apostrophes ;P

On a serious note, for the first problem is this any particular type of CDs (e.g. music or program disc) or all of them?

For the second problem, can you describe in what way the quality is poor? Is the picture grainy? Is it like a low quality youtube/mobile phone video? Are you getting 'glitches' where lines or blocks on the screen show up with wrong coloured pixels and the sound cuts out? That will help narrow down the problem to hardware or software.

stonking

Novice Member
Hi, Its any CD; the DVD's are perfect. After I have ripped it, which takes for ages, on play back the sound is like a scratchy background noise then its clear for a while and then its scratchy again. That said, the last 3 tracks of the CD were ripped perfectly.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The long read times do sound like it might be a hardware failure, I'd definitely get in touch with pioneer about the problem.

stonking

Novice Member
OK, so last night I connected an old one and that worked perfectly so I have brought a cleaner for it and will give that a spin and if that does not work then its off to Pioneer or a new one.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom