1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reading no disc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jackphilips, Sep 9, 2004.

1. jackphilips

jackphilips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi got a philips dvdr 70 recordable 1st discs i brought when i got this about a week ago was maxell dvd-rw which work fine but i just brought tdk-rw but when i put them in the machine after reading it comes up no disc is they any round this all do i have to take the tdk back and get some discs that the machine will read?any adive wellcome.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    The Philips machine uses the unofficial DVD 'plus' format as opposed to the DVD 'minus' format supported by all the other major companies. Thus if you have purchased TDK DVD-RW then the Philips will be unable to use them.

3. jackphilips

jackphilips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks for that is there a site on the net anywhere i can get a list off wot i can use?

4. jackphilips

jackphilips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    yeah been reading up on it got it now cheers anyway.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    Not really: the media your DVD recorder uses is DVD+RW and DVD+R - as long as you get disks labelled as these they will work correctly. Unfortunately I cannot really direct you to a brand as virtually all companies make multiple types of media!

Just as background info for you there are five types of DVDR media:
    - DVD-RAM
    - DVD-RW
    - DVD-R
    - DVD+RW
    - DVD+R

Philips and Thompson support DVD+RW/+R. Pioneer, Sharp, LG, JVC and Toshiba support DVD-RW/-R. Panasonic, Samsung, Hitachi, JVC and Toshiba support DVD-RAM/-R. Sony supports DVD-RW/-R/+RW/+R (but not -RAM).

When buying media the type should be clearly marked. If in doubt though check the logos: DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-R carry the official DVD Logo you see on most DVD drives/players. DVD+RW and DVD+R use a square, black logo with 'RW' in it.