Reading DVD-RAM on PC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rob100, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Hi,

Something that may be of interest.

I recently bought a Toshiba SD-M1712 DVD-ROM drive for my PC as it can also read DVD-RAM discs and I wanted a way to get my DMR-E30 recordings into the PC so I can edit add a proper menu etc and burn back to DVD-R using my A04.

WinXP was able to read the discs no problem, but Win2K (my prefered OS) could not read the disc and I got message "incorrect function" when trying to browse the CD.

After some research I found that this was due to the file system as the DMR-E30 used UDF v2.0.1 and Win2K does not support this. I download some Panasonic DVD-RAM device drivers for their LF-Dxxx series of DVD-RAM drives from here and now it works and I can read the E30's DVD-RAM discs with Win2K :) I did start looking at WriteDVD from Software Architects as this would seem to do the trick, but this was 60 USD!

The Toshiba SD-M1712 does what I bought it for, but as a DVD-ROM it does have limitations, such as being RPC2 (although I did find some RPC1 firmware, but haven't used it) and like other Toshiba DVD-ROM's the CSS ripping speed is limited to 2x. Thankfully I have a Lite-on drive as well, so neither of these is a real issue for me.

Anyway, hope someone finds this useful.

Rob.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Tosh SD-M1612 which I made RPC1. Works a treat :)

The 1612 doesn't read DVD+R or DVD+RW disks. Is this also the case with the 1712?

3. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Yes there seems to be quite a few patched firmware versions around for the 1612, but sadly not the 1712 (yet). This model is still fairly new, and I therefore imagine (hope) in time that RPC1 firmware will be available.

I don't have any DVD+R(W) to test - only DVD-R(W). The spec doesn't say it supports the "plus" format. See here.

Rob.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers.

When I bought my 1612 a few weeks ago, there weren't any patched firmware available either. So I posted a request on the Firmware Forums and the administrator there soon came up with the goods :)

Worth browsing the forums there because they put the patched firmware up for testing on the forums before releasing into the big wide world. I took a chance with mine after only one person had previously tested it and it worked a treat :)

5. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Rob100,
    This is fantastic news...I hope!!!

I have a Panny E30 and IBM laptop with HItachi GD-S200 DVD ROM drive inside. At first I thought I might have to use DVD-R disks only to view recorded programs and was quite upset that the RAM disks did NOT work in my laptop as this would have been ideal for those long business trips.

However after reading your post I looked up my internal drive on Hitachi.com and lol it is DVD-RAM compatible!

So, I have downloaded the drivers you mentioned and cant wait to try the RAM disks tonight and hoping that it will work as yours did?

By the way, did the software indicate at any time it had found a DVD-RAM drive when installing?

Is there any way other than trying a RAM disk that I can tell all is OK on the RAM front?

6. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    When installing the drivers it did a search for DVD-RAM drives, but didn't state if it did or didn't find any - just got to the end and wanted to re-start.

I'm at work ATM so can't be specific, but there was a tool installed with the drivers that would list DVD-RAM drives. When I ran this, nothing was listed.

I have still only done limited testing, but it would seem that all recordings are part of the same VRO. I found that WinDVD (or maybe that was PowerDVD - it's been a long day...) would happily play these files straight from the disc and you can skip between recordings as if they were chapters.

You do get approx a second of blackness during edit points and I noticed when loading the VRO into DVD2AVI you get slight corruption at this point. The IFO files on the DVD-RAM discs do not seem to be like those on a DVD-ROM/R as vStrip/IfoEdit etc are unable to parse the files :-( More investigation is required...

Rob.

7. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    mentsugi / Fuel Crusher (Paul) - did it work for you then??

Rob.

9. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Rob,
    Yes it did work! I was able to actually read from the DVD-RAM!

However when I ran the installed DVD player (Mediamatics) it would not recogfnise the disk!

So, realising that I might need a DVD decoder that recognises DVD-RAM I used the trial version of PowerDvD and lol it worked!

I can now play without problem the DVD-RAM Sky recording I made yesterday on my laptop....success!

Also, I found that if you double clicked the .mov file on the RAM and used Windows Media Player the program also played but only in small window in the middle of the screen.

So , next task is to upgrade my onboard Mediamatics player to allow DVD-RAM recognition and I will be fully up and running.

10. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes works on WinME with a Toshiba 1612. Of course I could play the ram discs before with powerdvd but these drivers allow me to explore the disc. Must admit I was suprised to see the video is one large file.

Paul