1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Readers of OXM this may be of interest.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Del Boy Smiffy, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Del Boy Smiffy

Del Boy Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
  2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah it amuzed me :D

3. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I guess OXM just write for the kiddies then; as those forums seem full of the little twits...

Seems the dev as a serious concern and people obviously take Official XBox Magazine seriously (just like people do with the Daily Mail). Both a waste of good paper...

4. Del Boy Smiffy

Del Boy Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    At the last count there were 10 member of any worth.

The rest are just a pain.

But its not modded so what do they expect.

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I think I bought OXM once. The demos were short and, frankly, rubbish.

The magazine itself is a joke of journalism, as is more like a phamplet than a magazine, :thumbsdow

Some of the reviews they give games make you feel like you swallowed a boulder.

Blantent back handers going on there.

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always made it a rule to never buy any partisan magazine, (XBox mag, PS2 mag, etc) as they are usually more about publicity than informing consumers.

I'm still a little confused why anyone buys games magazines anymore anyway? Surely the reviews/previews available for free on the Internet are:
    a) Much more timely (the lead time for magazines makes them just about useless for any up to date news/rumours)
    b) Better written (this is obviously debatable)
    c) Available in greater numbers, making an informed decision that much easier
    d) Less susceptible to coercion to give a bad game a good review (lest the company refuse to buy ad space in the next issue)

Is it the glossy photos? Is the something to read on the train? Why are people still buying these things? (this isn't an attack on readers, I'd legitimately like to know)

7. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Only magazine I ever buy now is GamesTM. And that's mainly because the reviews are good, it is well written and has very good content.

A magazine is easier to read in bed and the like; but you are right - I would have thought magazine sales should be in massive decline. But then consider how many people have access to the Internet, and then consider how many of those only stick to pages like MSN and AOL etc. Such pages are the XBox Magazine equvilent of the Internet. All about lifestyle and consumerism, and nothing to do with informing. Joe Average is just that and doesn't have the savy to look for games review sites on the 'net. Joe Average is more than happy with a game review in FHM or Playboy...

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I often forget that many (most?) people do little or no research before spending their money. There's nothing wrong with that, but since the rise of the Internet, being an informed consumer has become that much easier.

But then, maybe I'm just a big cheapo. :zonked: