• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Reader that handles bad/dirty disks

matobinder

Standard Member
Ok. I have had it. I have two DVD players for my home theathre's(bedroom and living room). I want one that is really good about handling all CD/DVD/Blue-Ray disks

One is a Toshiba DVD-RW, it can't handle any disks with little scratches, the thing will actually just start to freak out and I need to "hard" power it off, buy unplugging it.

The other, is a 10 year old 5 disk DVD carosel by Sony, works awesome, reads most all DVD and CDs without getting to bad.

I don't really care about too many extra bells and whistles. I just want one that is quiet, reads the disks in fast, and can handle a few smudges on the disk.

I'm upgrading in part as I figure I should go BlueRay now. But the toshiba is driving me nuts. It takes about 1 minute to "boot up" and can't handle even a slightly smudged DVD.

Are there any good ones that are known to be great at reading dirty/scratchy disks, and also quiet? The Toshiba DVD-RW thing is louder than hell with its internal fans and stuff. I don't need a writer. I just want playback.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom