• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

read/write speeds..........

themediaman

got a usb HDD plugged into my NAS, moving files to it from my PC over the wire at the expected 5 odd MB/s (100Mbit LAN), however when copying from the NAS to the PC, files stored on the USB HDD, I was getting double that speed....

Can anyone explain that for me...........just curious.....

psikey

Distinguished Member
Most likely due to processing power in your NAS. Reading from them is usually quicker than writing to them on home class NAS.

As an example:

My first NAS was a QNAP TS-109 800MHz CPU which could read at a max rate of about 35MB/s but write at around 18MB/s

My next was a QNAP TS-119 1.2GHz which can read at about 70MB/s and write at about 45MB/s

Now I've got an expensive business class multi-bay TS-659Pro+ with 1.8GHz dual core Atom, it can saturate even a gigabit wired connection at over 100MB/s read & write.

Once you get over say 60-70MB/s the choice of hard drives themselves become the limitting factor needing expensive or high performance drives to reach over 100MB/s

Read/write performance is not listed for you NAS. The choice of RAID used on multi-bay NAS can also have a big impact, especially on writes. The link between the NAS & USB drive will also impact transfer speed which is why I use external eSATA enclosures rather than USB ones for backups.

Last edited:

themediaman

I would like eSATA disks for back up too, but no port on my readynas....

i have a 100Mbit LAN presently and copying from the USB drive, through the NAS, to the PC over a wire was 10.5MB/s, which I thought was really good coming through a USB interface......

psikey

Distinguished Member
The speed of the USB is not the bottle-neck, it's the 100ethernet that is the restriction which max rate is about 12MB/s

themediaman

What is the maximum through Usb.....when writing to the nas I can get 12.5 but if I am writing to the Usb hdd connected to the nas I only get 5.5, so that seems to me as a Usb bottleneck.....

Sent from my HTC Legend using AVForums

psikey

Distinguished Member
What is the maximum through Usb.....when writing to the nas I can get 12.5 but if I am writing to the Usb hdd connected to the nas I only get 5.5, so that seems to me as a Usb bottleneck.....

Sent from my HTC Legend using AVForums

Max for USB 2 is about 40MB/s effective rate. I've had about 35-38MB/s myself with a PC.

As I said above, the NAS is likely to be the limitting factory. My old TS-109/119 NAS units were also painfully slow at copying to attached USB drives and it is a question that always comes up on the QNAP forums for those models.

themediaman

cheers for the info mate, the difference between the read and write ability of my nas is obviously quite noticeable, but i do plan to upgrade my nas in both capacity and perfomance in the near future.....

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom