1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read Up Before buying Plasmas!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pryce3, Jan 22, 2005.

1. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are contemplating buying a plasma screen i would be very cautious.

Firstly almost all plasma screens have non HD resolutions, most have resolutions of only 852x480, if you want HDTV next year these tvs will be totally useless.

Secondly even those Plasmas with HD resolutions eg 1280x720 or above,arent all HDTV compliant as they have no digital inputs (DVI or HDMI), and even those that do have digital input are rarely HDCP (copyright protection) compliant.

secondly Plasma screens are prone to screen burn no matter what anyone may tell you as they contain Phosphors, and most have lifespans of ony 15000 to 25000 hours. Even those with extended life of 60000 hours will degrade over time due to the way the work, which if anyone wants to know i could go into a whole chemistry lesson about.

thirdly dont be seduced by the massive contrast and brightness values given in comparison with lcd as there measured differently.

So what im basically trying to say is unless you want a cheap massive tv which is to be replaced in a few years, or your going to spend big bucks and get one that addresses all these problems like the new Pioneer plasmas think of other flat technologies to by like the highly superior lcd or mabye a DLP.

And dont go say lcd's are small you can get them up to 45 inches(Sharp) in the UK, and ps the sharp has a res of 1920x1080p i would like to see an equal size plasma do that!!

2. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really dont think a non HD display will be useless in a years time. When HD DVD comes out I'm sure I'll be able to connect a blue ray player to my pw7 and get better images than I do from a normal DVD (as there is a difference between normal and superbit DVD's).

And a 45" LCD will cost more than a 50" HD plasma and in my opinion LCD aren't as good as plasma for movies and TV

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Even if you take the lowest figure there - 15000 hours - that still means you can watch roughly 7000 movies on the Plasma. Effectively 4 a day, everyday for 5 years! If you watch THAT much television you need to get out more!

The LCD v Plasma argument is somewhat more complex than you make out as well pryce3. Maybe LCD will indeed push Plasma out - but I can't see it happening for awhile as big screen LCDs just aren't good value for money and have their own set of problems/issues.

4. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I saw a nice 42inch Sony LCD in the Sony store in Norwich just before Xmas.Cracking picture but the £6,000 price tag scared me off. I agree with your points about Hi-res screens/hdmi hdcp compliant inputs etc this is what encouraged me to go for the 505XDE & at £3,600 delivered,imo is the current best buy at this point in time. Oh btw before this screen i owned a Sony rear pro for quite a few years but always found problems with dust settleing on the internal optics,so wouldnt go down that road again.

Dan

5. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has all been said before a million times

Alot of us really dont care about HDTV compatiblity as we will not be forking out for Skys exspensive service when it arrives (eventually)

And as for LCD can you get a 42" for around £1700 with the quality of the PWD6 or PWD7? nope not on your life As for the highly superior i totally disagree but wont get into that

6. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Higher resolution doesn't necessarily make for a better picture. A perfect digital source on a top of the range HD LCD or Plasma screen maybe but pound for pound it seems to me that an SD plasma screen from one of the top manufacturers for under £1600 based on what I gave for my heavy and bulky (expensive at the time) 32" CRT TV seems good value for money. The only misgivings I have is the fragility of the plasma screen but if your careful then this shouldn't be an issue for most people.

Having demo'd an old plasma which has been used in an industrial environment my mind is made up. For shear size, weight, practicality and price there is nothing better.

RPTVs and CRTs are too bulky. LCDs are too expensive and have their own problems. A projector is impractical, certainly in my environment.

Given time the prices will come down for HD screens and their reliability and performance will hopefully improve.

7. saintalan

saintalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Absolutely...be cautious, read the forum decide on 2 or 3 and go look at them and buy the one that suits you.

Could not be happier with my Hitachi 42/5200 out of the box, yes I am sure I can ( and will) improve the PQ but you will be impressed with what you get. I am sure this applies to the other panels recommended on this site.

Yes we are all different, have our own peculiarities, BUT dont think you will find too many people on this site telling you mot to bother!

Happy Viewing

Alan

8. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thread Originator - Total posts = 2 and he's slagging off Plasmas etc already - treat with care! :rolleyes:

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pryce3 you are correct be careful it is alot of money BUT the rest of your post is Utter TOSH mate...........and how much does the 45" sharp cost? have you see any units running or are you just reading spec sheets?
    PS you may find the Pioneer range interesting alll HD screens with HD compliant inputs thats HDMI all res and refresh..............

10. BALLISTIX

BALLISTIX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with hornydragon.
    Just a thought, have you looked at how many LCD panels are fully HD compliant? not many.

Andy.

11. robbleiper

robbleiper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

I smell ' LCD ownerrrrrrrr ' . Purchase justification?!?!?!?!?

12. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...you should have gone to specsavers...mate

Have you seen the pictures on a DLP screen(not projector)!
    Have you seen the motion blur on most LCDS!

If you want to wait for the 'NEXT big thing' fine... but people like you never end up with anything...
    I enjoy my panasonic 42" plasma and have done with no problems for 2 1/2 years now!

good luck with your future purchase...oh wait something else is coming out better hold out for that....

:censored:

13. stefire27

stefire27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This post should of been in the LCD section don't get on to him

14. stefire27

stefire27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He'll be converted when he reads the TINY advert

(I'm a newbee who's just had his plasma delivered and knows nothing too)

15. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we have a sharp 45" up and running it costs £6495. comes with dvd recorder in titanium and also on purpose built stand by acre designs who produce most manufacturers stands. its a nice looking set . but i have to admit that as with all sharps you need a perfect input otherwise it will show any imperfections im yet to hook it up to a pc but i could do with a hi-def disc if anyone knows where i can get one if it was my money then id still be buying a pioneer for the time being as i cant really fault it £2699. and cracking pq

16. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly my comments were only opinions and i respect all your points of view as for the have i seen hdtv quedtion the answer is yes. i have seen the euro 1080 broadcasts on the sharp 45gd1e which cost £5000 which looked amazing to say the least. i also have a 27 in lcd tv and a 720p/1080i denon dvd player which also gives a picture i have never seen a plasma capable of reproducing. Plus i have worked part time in Powerhouse for well over a year and seen and tested first hand many lcds and plasmas, ps dont laugh about the powerhouse thing im only just 18 doning A levels!. and also i have to say some of your comments are fare and well thought out for example sometimes plasmas do look better with SD feeds but this is simply as its closer to the native plasma res usuall 852x480. But get the best plasma in my opion the PDP-435HDE and PDP-435XDE pioneers and hook it up to the best feeds you can get then compare with the best equivalent lcd setup i would catergorically say the lcd would be better

17. Elgaran

Elgaran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh please do - lets see what you know about the reaction mechanism(s) of the dedgradation (presumably a redox process) of the phosphorous compounds used in plasma displays....

18. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you can get passed the bluring on the LCD the contrast is just not upto plasma level yet

Dont get me wrong LCD is great technology which can only get better but right now for TV/Movie use plasma is the way to go

All i can say is you have not compard against well setup plasmas.

19. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically plasma screens have a glass substrate on top of which is a coating of phosphors. then a grid a wired cells containg xenon or / and neon gases compressed to a liquid level.the wire creates a voltage in an individual cell which excites the plasma making electrons move, these electrons then cause the phosphors to glow a particular colour depending on the amount of energy passed to them. Basically each cell works like a tiny electron gun like in a traditional crt. if you constantly make electrons move up and down the outer electron shells over time the atoms will degrade. but im only A level chemistry and not that great, so if you no more elgaran please tell me as it would be interesting.

And ps i only made this thread out of curiosity to see what response it would create and find out others opinions.

20. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that'll be it then powerhouse :suicide: shouldnt have told them that :rotfl: i would catergorically say lcd and plasma give 2 totaly different types of picture so as with anything in life its not which one is best its which one is best for you "you say pota-to i say pot-at-o"

21. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol

22. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blurring is only an issue on crappy lcd tvs with high response times 18ms+ and the newest and best have grey to grey reponse times of 16ms or less.the one thing i would have to say PDPs are better at is black.

23. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well put alscds

24. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Betamac maybe the way i put it was a bit simplyfied and not as good as it could be but before laughing go to http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/plasma-display2.htm read a little. Education thats what i say lol. ps gotta go got three A level modules coming up next week/ monday so i'll leave u lot to it.

25. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    A small picture is always going to look better than one twice the size. That doesn't mean the display is necessarily doing a better job...

26. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a plasma panel is composed of 2 thin glass plates seperated by a gas mixture (xenon&neon) uniform spaces seperate the sheets of glass creating a waffle shape grid structure for the coloured cells. by means of a voltage differential an electric feild is created adding energy to the gas mixture. as a result the glass changes to a plasma state and releases ultraviolet energy.the uv energy excites the phospher and it emits visible light one pixel on the screen consists of a red ,green and blue cell . the relevant brightness of these 3 colours determines the display colour of the pixel. millions of pixels between 2 optical grade glass plates. "shall i continue"? :rolleyes: by the way i aint got an A level and i wouldnt want one if it made me into an 18yr old know it all. and even though its called screen burn its not . its actually the brightness dimming in a certain are of the screen. but screen burn sounds scarier than brightness dimming. do they still tell people that plasmas need re-gasing at powerhouse then ? coz its not true you know ,

27. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason i was laughing was at you, not the science

Someone with about 6 posts coming on the board trying to tell us something we already know, We know plasmas fade (60,000 hours until half brightness) your acting like your tellling all us dumb plasma owners something we dont actually know, the brightness level also gradually goes not just 1 day you get up and BANG its half brightness, i doubt anyone would even notice

The fact is i doubt any plasma owner will have there display 10 years before they decide to upgrade so the figure dont bother us thats why i laughed not at your little science lesson,

Now please enjoy your LCD i am sure its great, but the plasma owners you are aiming at are all happy with our displays, and i doubt you would change anyones mind who has decided to get a plasma on this board, as theres enough info for them to make a good decision already

28. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no we or at least i have always know regassing is an urban legend to be honest most peps who work in electronics retail arent the sharpest tools in the box

29. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe this should have been called the(my mum and dad are wasting money on my education because i harp on about my A-level crap but really i steal all my info from the net and then pretend i know what im talking about ) thread id be interested to know which 27" you have coz there aint that many, and its a shame www.howstuffworks doesnt tell you about life but hey you'll learn one day , KIDS EH!! :rolleyes:

30. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alscds your good but seem bitter, ps my mum wastes no money on my education im on a scholarship, i have the Thomson 27 got it wholesale in feb 2004 coz on of powerhouses stored closed due to increased rent. its got dvi hdcp d-sub prog scan component,composite s-video but only one scart(RGB) plus sky+ with all channels subscription free. and yeah i probably do need to learn about life but im only 18 so plenty of time. and yeah i can see how i came off as a condesening smart mouth know it all but this tread was only a bit of fun for me as a response to the average plasma buying at powerhouse who could barely spell their own name