1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

READ THIS 37WL56p Non-anamorphic problem

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Rob Sheep, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Owners of the buzzing Toshiba 37WL56p's out there should note the following:

Non-anamorphic DVDs can be played via HDMI but not upscaled. The TV cannot play a scaled 720p/1080i signal via HDMI but it will play a standard res image. You will then have to set the TV to cinema mode to watch it. It doesn't work with all but it is a start.

I wonder what will happen if Sky transmit 720p signals via HDMI which are not enhanced? Its going to be a problem watching them... :suicide:

2. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what you are describing is - forgive me for saying it - at least slightly misleading. you CAN play non-anamorphic dvds upscaled on the toshibas; the only thing is: in upscaled mode ( 720p or 1080i ) over hdmi only the 16:9 function is available. this is quite normal on many tvs - the panasonic plasmas used to have only a 16:9 mode in component. many dvd-players ( denons and samsungs come to mind ) give you the option of zooming a picture to fill the screen or squeezing it to make it 4:3. I have to use my denon 3910 to watch 4:3 films, as the tv only gives me 16:9 anamorphic. by all means - it is a shortcoming, that future tvs won't have ( some might not have it now ), but somehow I think that you'll be fine. non-anamorphic dvds are a rarity these days - for years I did not buy nonanamorphic dvds as a matter of principle. and sky hdtv will be all anamorphic - or else...!!!
    kind regards
    thomas

3. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Thomas, you can't play non-anamorphic DVDs, regardless of what the TV (or what you believe the TV does to the signal), I've a Denon 2910 and it makes no difference to the signal, so how can I be fine if it doesn't play DVDs how it should? I've been collecting DVDs for over 7 years and a lot are non-anamorphic so I'm stuffed, :nono:

4. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the toshibas are locked into 16:9 over hdmi upscaled - so you can watch nonanamorphic material, but stretched. most non-anamorphic dvds are now available anamorph; sell the old sh.. and get the new. the new digital world is anamorphic - my old pw3 panasonic was locked into 16:9 in component, and there was only one dvd-player, that could help me then ( panasonic rp91 - rc 1 only ). now with the toshiba the same thing again - but with the denons you can at least watch 4:3 material undistorted; and that will be enough for most. you gave the impression, that you would not get a picture at all with non-anamorphic dvds over hdmi upscaled - that is clearly not true. :rolleyes:
    kind regards
    thomas

5. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds a pain, but why not connect the dvd player to the lcd via both hdmi and rgb scart?
    when you want to play a non anamorphic one, select scart input?

6. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    easier still - don't upscale the non-anamorphic source. watching a blown up non-anamorphic dvd on any 16:9 tv is not a pleasure anyway, upscaled or not. sounds unsympathetic but is true.
    kind regards
    thomas

7. Order Sixty Six

Order Sixty Six

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting amount of sympathy in this thread. I'm new to all of this and this is my second only posting but I've one of these sets and my sister-in-law has one too and let me tell you all something, neither one works or looks the same!

I've no problem with the unanamorphic discs, plays them fine. However, my in-laws can't :rolleyes:

Both have the same players, same leads, her's buzzes mine doesn't, strange...
    But you can't watch anything upped to 1080i on mine, screen goes green.

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    You can get some DVD players that perform the stretching, so the display won't have to.