Read it and weep guys...TV shows aired in the states in DD 5.1..

Well DD is part of the US High Def standard (as well as the upcoming blue laser optical disks) so no surprise there is so much content. I just hope SKY take the same view but since they are going to buy HD source material from the US then stripping the DD would be kinda pointless :)

nothing is pointless to sky, they can screw up anything! :laugh:

Gary

How long was it before SKY started to show stuff in W/S even though they brought out the technology to allow it.

At least Sky show films in 5.1 through Sky+. Although they took a long time to allow this too!

surely, since they can show films in 5.1 on sky movies, they should be able to show tv shows in 5.1 on sky one. or bbc 1, or any other channel for that matter. there's really no good reason why they shouldn't.

manny said:
surely, since they can show films in 5.1 on sky movies, they should be able to show tv shows in 5.1 on sky one. or bbc 1, or any other channel for that matter. there's really no good reason why they shouldn't.
I can think of one - what about bandwidth issues...would need a lot more bandwidth to transmitt DD5.1 than stereo.

I think it's great and it's a pity that the UK doesn't show programmes in Dolby Digital 5.1. However family guy why read it and weep? For those fans have DTS it doesn't mean anything other than more people have adopted Dolby Digital and that's why the new high definition TV and next generation DVDs have it as standard, not because it's any better or necessarily even an equal of DTS. Also no doubt being more compressed has helped Dolby to become the standard.

thirst said:
I think it's great and it's a pity that the UK doesn't show programmes in Dolby Digital 5.1. However family guy why read it and weep? For those fans have DTS it doesn't mean anything other than more people have adopted Dolby Digital and that's why the new high definition TV and next generation DVDs have it as standard, not because it's any better or necessarily even an equal of DTS. Also no doubt being more compressed has helped Dolby to become the standard.
I don't want to turn this into a "Dolby vs DTS" argument..I merely posted the link because I wanted to show whar shows are actually MADE in Dolby 5.1 and what we are missing out on...for imformation purposes, The Disney Channel broadcats in Dolby Digital as well...but normally it's stereo - with only one film a week in 5.1

manny said:

It's a hardware issue, for reasons that only SKY really understand they have not either purchased the required systems for DD audio or have it but not used that facility on SKY1.
The use of DD on BBC channels is entirely upto them, SKY have on input in their decision but from what I have read it's a question of licensing the technology and the rights to use the DD trademark which is the issue for the BBC. I have read on more than one occasion the odd BBC digital program has had an unadvertised DD soundtrack, probably testing. Of course now the BBC is making some content in HD the use of DD at least in the final audio mastering/mixing stage would be a given.

electrolyte said:
I can think of one - what about bandwidth issues...would need a lot more bandwidth to transmitt DD5.1 than stereo.

True.
Although it's a minor matter for a single Dsat channel, you are talking perhaps a 10% overhead given a 384kbps DD data stream which should easily be in the reach of SKY1 but for the BBC and ITV who have dozens of regional variants the overead then becomes quite large:)

Considering Picture Quality isn't important enough to warrant extra bandwidth then audio wouldn't even get a mention:)

I think possible 5.1 on TV broadcasts in the future should be controlled, maybe films only like Sky+ have. Our old humble terraced and semi detacheds just weren't built for such sounds all day! Not to mention the fatigue it would cause.

i'm with Kevo on that one. I've been watching movies in 5.1 for the last 6 years and i have to say that most movies DO NOT benefit from being in 5.1, yes its a nice touch but for the most part it doesn't matter.

When i watch TV i sometimes turn the amp on and have it in Dolby Surround but it doesnt really make that much differance. Just because the Yanks have doest mean it's the greatest thing in the world now does it.

gary

I don't know about every programme having 5.1 but science-fiction shows like Babylon 5 and Farscape, also actions series like Alias benefit from 5.1 sound.

At the end of the day it's how the sound mixing is done and the requirments of the director.
A lot of programs and movies only need a little ambient noise on the rear channels due to their genre, others make full use of both the rears and subwoofer to emphasis foreground and background noises.
It's all a question of content, either way there is absolutley nothing to lose by mixing the audio for DD presentation and choosing to use DD2.0 or 5.1 as required.

Once you hear a well made DD or DTS soundtrack you will never want to go back:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom