Read a lot on viewing angles - still need advice

oziUK

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All

On the market for a 50 or 55 inches TV around £500/600. Oled are therefore not an option. The lounge is quite wide with a large U shaped sofa that can seat like 9 people. So if you seat / lounge on the side you're not facing the TV. Viewing angles are important.

At this price range it seems that Samsung TU, some sony screens, and the hisense h9g (which has high ratings although higher power comsumption) are good.

I don't know however how they fare in terms of viewing angle. Any expert advice on how to pick one with good viewing angles?

Thanks

Have you read the guide? Split by narrow vs wider viewing angles for each size

50” TVs have VA panels which are not suitable for off centre viewing without major picture degradation, so you’ll need to look at 55s or 49s.
Looking at the guide, Samsung TU have narrow angles in 55, so may need a rethink. Ditto the Hisense (H9G? Looks to be a US model, you’re spending £?)

Over budget at £700, but mid tier LG Nano 86 offers better off axis viewing

If you want to spend less (for low tier)

LG 55UN7300/55UN7400 - Great smart TV, competitive pricing compared to the competition. Decent in a bright room. UN7300 is the first that comes with the magic remote. But you may also find value in the UN7100 if you don't care about a smart remote or the UN8000 and UN8100 if you want both smart remote and an extra HDMI port. LG differences here: LG_TV_LineUp_chart_2020_v1.0.pdf

Philips 55PUS7805 / 55PUS7855 - Good choices for the best motion on a budget, basic smart TV. I can't keep track of all the nonsensical naming scheme, but they can be compared here: Philips 2020: Übersicht / Line Up / Range aller 2020er Philips TVs - Toengels Philips Blog. Dolby Vision and HDR10+ support.

Sony 55XH8196 / 55XH8096 - A costly choice if viewing angles are the priority. Wide colour gamuts.You can spend £50 less on the 55X7052 / 55X7053 models instead if you don't want Android TV and will be happy with Sony's basic smart TV + also don't mind losing the wide colour gamut.

Last edited:
Look at tvs from LG IPS and sizes 49 inch to 55 inch. and go for a nano cell screen.

Thank you both, especially on avoiding the 50 inch size.

What info did you look for to determine that the Samsung is not good for off-center.
Similarly what metric helps you determine that the nano cell screen is good for wide angle viewing?

What info did you look for to determine that the Samsung is not good for off-center.
Similarly what metric helps you determine that the nano cell screen is good for wide angle viewing?
Its not about the brand or whether the TV uses a backlight technology like Nanocell, but instead the panel of the TV.

Panels have variations, from one type to another. But the main difference is TVs that use VA panels have narrow viewing angles, whilst those that use IPS have wider viewing angles. If viewing needs to be at a tight angle, I'd suggest buying a Sony XH80/XH81 series at 55" or the X70 at 49".

Panel type

Ok So I need to look for IPS panel then right?

Thanks for your help

Yes. In the guide look under the sections:

LCD TVs with wide viewing angles, but worse contrast, blacks and dark room/scene performance.

Just today, I bought a 43NANO76 TV from LG. The picture from an angle is dreadful. It looks completely washed out. This 4K tv replaced a 10 years old Panasonic HD 32" TV which never had a problem. I'm bitterly disappointed especially as LG boasted about the picture quality from a wide angle.

Yes, this size is crap now the 42-inch LG C2 would be the one to get, or the 48-inch if can fit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom