1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reached that point of contentment (briefly)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Peter Baker, May 20, 2005.

1. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Well, it's been a long journey, but I have reached a point at which I am happy with both the AV and CD sound from my kit. As we all know this is a transient moment, sure to be disturbed by some future upgradeitis, but it is great to enjoy it while it lasts. :thumbsup:
    I honestly never thought I would be able to get back to a really enjoyable and involving music relay, having decided that AV was the priority. I was prepared to compromise, and settled for listening to far less music, and watching far more TV. This suited my wife far more, particularly as our viewing tastes coincide, but our musical tastes are oceans apart.
    I went through Mission M-time, and on to ARcam 10/DAVE amplification, bringing in Living Voice Auditorium speakers along the way. I had always held onto my Wadia 6 CDP. However the sound remained somewhat flat and uninspiring on music, whilst being pretty good on AV.
    Upgarding the amp was a long drawn out process, much of which was reported on this site. Ultimately, I went for quality of sound, rather than features, and can honestly say that I am delighted with the results. In particular, on AV everything had a lot more space, and the soundstage is convincing. Dialogue also sounds clear, and far more natural. :smashin:
    The improvement on music was revelatory. Everything was so much more engaging, the soundstage was clear, defined and large. It felt like I had got my music back ( to tyhe days when I ran valves and horns).
    So much so that I was tempted to upgrade the speakers, which I subsequently did, to the top of range Living Voice IBX.
    A whole new range of detail immediately became apparent, as did a widening of the soundstage and an improvement in the sense of reality, the timbre of instruments, and the delicacy of the human voice.
    Surprisingly, there were also major advantages for AV, with soundtracks to humble TV programmes such as Cold Case and ER becoming far more atmospheric.
    All in all, it's been a stunning trip, and I couldn't be happier. Well, until I hear of the next big thing. Of course, there is always the upgrade from Infocus 5700 to 7210 to countenance.
    Peter