1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

re-working or customizing DVD menus ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by applevenus, Jan 9, 2004.

1. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone aware of any basic PC or Mac software that will allow me to take a DVD I've recorded on my Panasonic HS2 and rework the menu using my own fonts/images/audio ?

I'm sure there must be a way to do this.

Anyone ?

2. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You're best bet may be to extract the video and audio data from the original DVD, then rebuild it using iDVD on the Mac for example. I'm running DVD Studio Pro which will handle the files but I'm not sure if iDVD will work with pre-made m2v files.

Use OSEX on OSX to extract the DVD data.

3. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have both iDVD and DVD Studio Pro but hadn't even considered using them - I assumed they wouldn't import vobs and ifo files from the DVD.
    I'll investigate OSEX to see if that will convert the DVD content to something that iDVD or DVD Studio Pro can deal with.

thanks

4. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried using OSEX but it refused to run on any of my macs.
    Then I had one of those eureka moments... I didn't need to 'rip' the DVDs since I created them on my HS2.
    Got out bbdemux and demux'd the vobs on the discs to create audio and video files that I can import into dvd studio pro... working great.
    Now I can use my own still or animated images for menus.

5. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a couple of PMs on this so I'll reply here to save others - it'll probably come up in search later on.

Once you've "ripped" (or rather 'copied' since the DVD isn't protected and doesn't need ripping) you will have .m2v and .ac3 files (video and audio respectively).

On the PC I really don't know what packages will import these files. the good people at http://www.dvdrhelp.com will no doubt know. I hear good stuff about tmpgenc

On the Mac I've got DVD Studio Pro and it imports these files. There are other software packages out there that will work I'm sure. DVD SP is very complex but quite powerful... it's also damn expensive.

Maybe other folks could jump in here with suggestions ?