1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re wiring house – what cables?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Triggaaar, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I’m in the process of doing a loft conversion. A new central heating system has gone in, and I’d like to take the chance to run cables around the house. My question is, what cables should I run, while I have the chance?

I would like my system to be:
    Living room: Home Cinema, with Plasma and Sky +
    Under stairs: PC playing DVDs to Plasma, and storing all music
    Several other rooms: Squeezebox or Roku etc, and TVs

I will always have access to wiring between the living room and under the stairs, but will shortly not be able to run cables around the rest of the house. I will run Cat5 from under the stairs, to all rooms, for any Squeezeboxes and internet requirement.

I would like to be able to feed my sky signal into my PC, for copying, scaling & de-interlacing. I understand that the PC cards are expensive at the moment, but as I will have access, I can add this functionality when it becomes feasible.

My questions :)
    For the distributing of sky around the house, should I run Cat5, or std TV coax? Does it depend on whether the signal is straight from sky, or through a PC?
    Are there different qualities of std tv coax available? If so, where can I look?

Many thanks in advance

2. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a loot at CPC, RS Farnell etc for decent install cabling.

I'd say run every cable you can.

3. clockwork

clockwork
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0