• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Re-Wiring A Cigarette Socket

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Somehow, our halfords coolbox cigarette plug has become damaged and is in pieces. It is a 12v type with an additional mains 240v socket. I purchased a new cigarette plug and wired it in, thinking it would be a simple job. However it is not working still. Is there anything I could possibly be missing?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Pictures would be useful.

Does the 240v connection still work to power the coolbox?
Does the cigarette socket still work? Fuse blown? Have you an air pump or something to check it?
Is there a visual indicator on the coolbox that lets you know it's getting 12v? (when it's working correctly)
Did you wire the the plug the correct way for GND and 12v? (I'm guessing this matters).
Have you tried plugging the coolbox into another car's socket? (some of these replacement plugs are of a poor quality and may not make a good connection in your vehicle).

:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 27989

Get the multimeter out and start testing to see where the issue is. Infinitely more accurate than a remote game of guess what it could be...

IronGiant

Another guess is, if the plug was damaged it's possible the cable was too.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Sorry for the delay in replying. Having issues with the forum. The cigarette lighter socket is fine on the car. The new plug has a light on showing power. I am sure I've wired it thr correct way but I'll double check. It still runs fine from 240 volts

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Inside the cigar plug you changed there should be a fuse has that blown.

Useful to know. I never realised cigarette lighter type of plugs are fused, i.e. here's a couple of inexpensive plug-in voltmeters I've got (one showing the internal fuse)...

IMG_0798.jpg

nheather

Distinguished Member
Useful to know. I never realised cigarette lighter type of plugs are fused, i.e. here's a couple of inexpensive plug-in voltmeters I've got (one showing the internal fuse)...

View attachment 1359651

Presumably this is intended for measuring the voltage of the battery. It is of less use for testing in this case because the OP already knows power is not reaching anything plugged in - so plugging this in would show nothing.

What the OP needs to do is to disconnect the socket (or one wire at least) and then using a multimeter, connect a multimeter across the wires. If that is 0V then no amount of fiddling with the socket is going to help, the problem must be inside the cooler, perhaps it has a fuse. If it reads 12V then there is something up with the new socket (does it have an internal fuse) or the way it has been wired.

TIP - if you don’t have a multimeter, disconnect the new socket so you just have the loose wires, and hold the wires onto the plug contacts of a device you know works. If that works then you have power on the wires, if it doesn’t then the problem lies inside the cooler, possibly a fuse.

Take care - when you have the wires loose, and the cooler plugged into your car, take care not to touch the two wires together. That would short the battery, you’ll get sparks and possibly blow a fuse in the car or cooler or both.

Cheers,

Nigel

nheather

Distinguished Member
The point of my post was simply to emphasise @phillyd1's post.

Okay, didn’t see that. I’m a little puzzled now on reading the OP whether we are talking about a plug or a socket.

I’m reading it that he has replaced the plug, has plugged it into the 12V socket in the car, the 240VAC inverter is working but there is a 12V socket on the cooler that isn’t.

If that is the case then the 12V plug that has been replaced is working and if it has a fuse is okay because the 240VAC inverter is working.

Which then begs the question why does the 12V socket on the cooler not work. If he has mot touched the wiring on that it would suggest there is a fuse inside the cooler related to the socket that has blown.

But it could equally be that I am misunderstanding what has been done.

Cheers,

Nigel

phillyd1981

@nheather I read it as the the cool box came with 2 power leads one 12v car and a 240v wall plug.
The wall lead works fine but the car plug the op wired in does not.
And the car 12v socket works.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
@nheather I read it as the the cool box came with 2 power leads one 12v car and a 240v wall plug.
The wall lead works fine but the car plug the op wired in does not.
And the car 12v socket works.
This is correct. The new plug even has a light showing power is going to it, just not to the cooler.

phillyd1981

The light will be before the live wire that you connected to the plug would that be correct?
Can the 12v lead at the cooler box end disconnect?
If it can and you have a multimeter test both the positive and negative points on the lead for continuity (set the multimeter to buzz and connect the probes to the positive at both ends then the same on the neg side)
Are you able to do that?
When you wired the new plug in are the connection points actually making contact to create a circuit did you solder the wires on or use a different method? Did you clean the contact points up do they are free of grease,
Oxidation, etc that could impede the circuit.
Again if you do have a multimeter with the engine running how many volts does the car socket give out? And if possible plug the cooler box lead in and measure the voltage at the cooler box connection if your new plug can not give out what the cooler box power requirements are then it will not work. How much amps does the cooler box req? The wall plug should have the output volts and amps on it.
Does the electrical contacts at the cooler box end make correct contact to conduct electricity?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom