Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Re-wireing inside speakers - Help Please.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by minimal_fuss, Jul 15, 2005.

1. minimal_fuss

minimal_fuss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey, I dont have very high end system as im just a poor student newly entering the whole AV world, but im sure you guys wont begrudge helping me out.

I managed to get hold of a 'Aiwa AV-D58' for free.
    And my front speakers are a pair of old 'Technics SB-4000 2way', which i simply love the sound of.

I bought a little new speaker wire, 316copper strand from richer sounds nothing extravigant. Anyway i finally got round to actually opening up one of the speakers to have a look inside, theres is tons of 'padding' of some sort in side, whats this for? The actual wires inside the speaker are fairly tiny, now should i consider replacing this wire? do think rewiring the actual speakers will show much improvment?

The sound from the speakers is still good, but the boxes are old and battered, so i want to make some new boxes for the driver units. Can anyone give me a link to a site with good speaker box designs? any tips?

Thanks!

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    have a look at www.diyaudio.com for some ideas on making your own speaker boxes (or the DIY section of these forums).

3. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't visit a hi-fi shop if you don't want that illusion shattered... :rolleyes:

Damping resonances and reflections inside the box. It also makes the acoustic volume of the box bigger, if the material is the right stuff.

Not unless the old wires are unnecessarily long, although you'll probably think you hear a difference.

The Home Theater Forum, despite being US-based, is quite good for trawling through for DIY stuff. I'd seriously consider trying to get hold of some old, cheap but highly-regarded bookshelf speakers instead of the Technics stuff though. Maybe you should visit that hi-fi shop.

Don't think I'm being snobby - I'm pretty low-budget myself - but you should understand your frame of reference. Try visiting a hi-fi show sometime: they are eye-opening for potential sound quality, and also hideous monstrosities sold at ludicrous prices with obvious lies for marketing material...

4. minimal_fuss

minimal_fuss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    actually i took my old technics to richer sounds and even the sales staff agreed they were better than any floorstanders they had for under £200.