Re-wired house for TV

k18dan

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just re-wired my house with digital coxaial cable for analog and digital tv, I have used one of these; http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx...lifiers and Splitters&ModuleNo=29416&doy=21m7

tried pluging in my sky magic eye upstairs (at the end of one of the feeds) and it has no power???

Idealy I would like to have one of these magic eyes in each room (6 feeds in total) but how can I get them to work????

k18dan said:
I have just re-wired my house with digital coxaial cable for analog and digital tv, I have used one of these; http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx...lifiers and Splitters&ModuleNo=29416&doy=21m7

tried pluging in my sky magic eye upstairs (at the end of one of the feeds) and it has no power???

Idealy I would like to have one of these magic eyes in each room (6 feeds in total) but how can I get them to work????

Unfortunately you will need to use a LoftBox or Attic Box or something similar to work with Sky Multiroom! These feature a a send and return to the main room with the Sky box and incoporate the Sky RF out feed into the di/tri plexed feeds to other rooms. They also power the Sky Eye things....

Here are a selection of the right boxes: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page15.htm

Bummer!, if you look at that maplin page again one of the questions asked at thebottem of the page is "will the sky magic eye work through this" maplin answer yes it will work - this si why I went for this box :rolleyes:

k18dan said:
Bummer!, if you look at that maplin page again one of the questions asked at thebottem of the page is "will the sky magic eye work through this" maplin answer yes it will work - this si why I went for this box :rolleyes:

You're right, it does! How have you got it wired? From the looks of it the RF output from the Sky box needs to feed into one of the inputs on the amplifier and then it should work!?!?

Also the plus point with the Loft/Attic boxes is that you can use other Sky boxes in the house if you want, not just rely on the RF option...

Go for a full Televes Multiswitch (http://www.televes.com/ingles/producto/ficha.asp?COD=568) and you can have Sky +/HD running in every room if you're prepared to pay for the subscriptions....

baldrick said:
You're right, it does! How have you got it wired? From the looks of it the RF output from the Sky box needs to feed into one of the inputs on the amplifier and then it should work!?!?

Strange uh..... Yer I have RF2 output from the sky+ box going to the tv in on the amplifier? The other input on the amp is 'FM in' so I asume I have it in the right place?

I know the sky+ rf2 is working/switched on because a. when the ouput from rf2 was pluged into the amp the led on the amp powered up (without connecting the mains power) b. I have only just disconected the old cables and I was using the Magic eye up stairs with no problem :confused:

erm daft question did you take the braid to the F connectors?
How to fit "F" Connectors to coax cable

As published in "What satellite TV" magazine

About 25mm from the end, use a knife to cut around the outer plastic covering, which is called the jacket. Be careful not to cut the braided copper wires inside. Pull off the jacket and separate the braided copper wire then twist them together in a "pigtail".

Cut off the exposed metal foil shield.

Cut off the white plastic insulation to expose the inner wire core, leaving about 3mm of white plastic insulation. This reduced the risk of the brained copper wires touching the inner wire core which must never happen.

Push the copper pigtail back over the outer jacket and screw an "F" connector over it as far as it will go. Make sure that the inner wire core can not touch the braided copper wires.

Cut off the exposed pigtail.

Use sharp cutters to cut the inner wire core to leave about 3mm exposed. Make this cut a 45 degree angle to make a point. This makes it easier to push the wire into a connector without risk of damage or bending the wire. Be careful not to cut yourself.

Push on adaptors are also available. These screw into an "F" connector to turn it into a push on plug. Useful when you are using a satellite finder and also as an LNB selector.

The alternative way to do F connectors is to buy a proper coax stripper, insert the wire, rotate the stripper around the wire remove stripper to expose perfectly prepared coax, slide F plug onto end of wire and crimp!

hornydragon said:
that requires buying a coax stripper...

And a crimping tool! I've now got 3!?!?! One for Canare L5CFB cable, one for CT100 coax and one for the common yellow, red and blue, spade/bullet/inline connectors....

Of those 2 were about £20 each and one (if I'd bought it over here) including the die set would have cost £150! Can you guess which is which?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom