RE Wire for home cinema

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by NC2016, Dec 14, 2016.

1. NC2016

NC2016
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay so in the new year we are going to re carpet and decorate our lounge so it will be an ideal opportunity to conceal some of the cabling associated with tge cinema. Ideally I want to run/conceal the followings; coaxial (aerial), ethernet, phono and speaker cables. I will be chasing out plaster to accomadate the cables. Can anyone suggest a suitable conduit I will need to turn corners to get from a to b. Thanks

2. Plasma Dan

Plasma Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Standard 20mm round PVC conduit should be fine, if you can get it to fit. Usually you would need to chase into the brick slightly to accommodate conduit being buried under the plaster. Another option is to use oval conduit which is designed to be easier to bury under plaster, but also has less room for cables. If you need to go around bends etc you're best using round conduit. Either use rigid PVC conduit or flexible, just bare in-mind than flexible conduit is more difficult to feed cables through, and too many bends can make it all-but impossible.

Personally I would stick with rigid conduit, and avoid using manufactured bends. Instead buy a bending spring and form the bends yourself to minimise friction inside the conduit.

If you need to chase into the brick slightly anyway, I would opt for 25mm conduit to offer a little more space for cables.

What I have done in my build here, is leave a 12mm (ish) gap below the skirting, to allow cables to be tucked under the skirting /carpet easily. The makes for a nice future-proof way to run any extra AV cables.

[​IMG]

Dan.

3. NC2016

NC2016
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I like the idea of leaving the skirting up. I might even put the conduit behind the skirting or is that not a good idea thanks

4. Plasma Dan

Plasma Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    You could do, you mean so you can feed cable under the skirting, into the conduit and come out somewhere else? Could work. :smashin: It's a nice way to hide the entry / exit for the conduit anyway. Might be a bit tricky to find again once you lay carpet. :suicide:

It would mean less gaps to fill after chasing-out since the skirting will hide it all. You could even just partially sink the conduit and cut-out the back of the skirting, similar to what I had to do with a last-minute cable install.

[​IMG]

This way you could avoid chasing-out the bricks also.

Dan.

5. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    I'd recommend against flexible 20 or 25mm conduit (or any size) that's a single walled construction. The corrugations make it all but impossible to push cables through, you need a cable puller or to use Ronski's vacuum cleaner method.

6. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,379
    Another option if possible, is to run the cables up to the first floor and underneath the floor boards, and drop then down to where they need to go. Sink some wide 16mm or 25mm trunking vertically in the walls and remember to leave pull strings so you can pull more cables in the future.

7. NC2016

NC2016
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks must admit i was considering flexible not anymore

8. NC2016

NC2016
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is definately an option i have a SVP drop in the corner of the room next to the lounge so could route what I need up to the first floor through this