Re:What 3D HDTV?

billbirchall

I have just read the AV review regarding; Panasonic VT30 (TX-P50VT30) 3D Plasma. I've also been to 2 large retailers and viewed the GT version of this TV. Everyone universally recommends this product. However I am a little bit cautious and I'm seeking some guidance. First of all, I am a Sony fan and my current TV was highly recommended when it was first released, and I am still pretty satisfied with it. However it only has one HDMI slot and I have a number of devices that I would wish to connect straight to the TV rather than at the moment having to use links. Furthermore as I understand it, there are a number of significant differences in the characteristics of plasma and LED. One is, I believe that Sony uses less power and has a generally brighter picture. I am also a little concerned, that because I have been used to seeing a brighter picture, we would find Panasonic somehow bland. It may be that it is technically a “truer" picture quality, but my eyes, have got used to the brighter Sony image. Also, as I've never used plasma before, and I believe that Panasonic are one of the few companies, who still have faith in this technology.

Another possible issue, is that I understand that Sony have made their comparable 3-D TV much more computerised than Panasonic. For example I believe that they have Wi-Fi built-in, whereas you have to buy a dongle for the Panasonic.

I do not know precisely, what the comparable Sony 3-D TV is to the Panasonic and would like some guidance on that, and also of the relative pros and cons of Panasonic plasma versus Sony's technology. My aim is to get an excellent 1080p image and have access to the currrent, best quality 3D technology. Can both Companies provide that, or do Panasonic, have a significant edge(which the review, seems to suggest)?

keithinnate

Standard Member
i have a panasonic 42 plasma now.. and am looking to upgrade too

i was convinced that id be going LED this time round.. and had the samsung d8000 in mind when i first strted looking, but after seeing all the issues with the samsungs i started looking at the LG passives.. i wasn't impressed with the overall appearance of them, so i started looking at the new Sony range 55" HX823 & HX923, but they are a bit pricey, are not available yet & the store couldn't say when they would be.. but wanted paid in full now to secure the current price ( before they go up - which they will for sure according to the sales guy! ) & according to the sony website cant be wall mounted ( although another member on here seems to think that's wrong )

so i looked back at the panasonic.. true the 50" they do is plasma, but has had good reviews, and the top end package VT30, which is comparable to the sony HX923 for me, in that it comes with 2 pairs of glasses, wifi etc.. is 1900.. compared to 3000 for the sony ( which isn't even abailable yet.. and some say wont be till around september )

So after all this looking, i find myself back at a panasonic plasma.. which i dont mind as my current model has been great.. but i feel like i should be going LED for some reason ?

billbirchall

Hi Keithinnate,

Thanks for sharing your thought process, it sounds similar to mine, as does the potential conclusion, of moving to Panasonic. I think that you are lead to LED, because most of the manufacturers are producing them and not Plasma. Also they are supposed to be more environmentally acceptable and cheaper to run. However, with me it comes down to quality and at the moment I am advised that Panasonic has the edge.

Bill

billbirchall

Spy,

Thanks for the link. It seems a lively debate with quite a lot of emotion, but to me, not a lot of substance. No real comparison, unless I am missing something.

Bill

Spy

Spy,

Thanks for the link. It seems a lively debate with quite a lot of emotion, but to me, not a lot of substance. No real comparison, unless I am missing something.

Bill

You are right, the issue is no one has seen the Sony equivalent of the VT30 !

I am in the market for one but may wait it out, let the dust settle once they are all released and then decide

Trevor brill

Hi

I recently bought a 46GT30 after having a panny tx-37V10 (LCD) the picture was no where near a good as the LCD i bought a Sony 46EX724 and found the over all picture to be better. The 724 was being returned and i was waiting for the HX823 this month but i have just been told by Sony it wont be around till Aug/Sept at the earliest.

In my option If your happy with the picture quality from your Sony i'd be temped to stay with the technology you like and go for another LCD/LED

hope this help's

billbirchall

Hi Spy/Trevor brill

The reason that I am interested in the Panasonic Vt30 (tx-p50vt30) 3d plasma, is because AV's review was excellent and two retailers were heavily promoting it (in quality Terms). One said that Sony's quality had diminished because they were not now producing there own screens, but obtaining them from Samsung. Whether they got a bigger commission for selling Panasonics, I do not know, which is why I come to the AV Forum, for a balanced view. Unfortunately, as the direct Sony comparison the Bravia HX923 is not yet available, it is difficult to form an opinion.

I was hoping to get X TV is better, because-and some technical explanation. Subjectivity, is not much use, as we all have that.

Bill

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom