1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

re:VGA, SVGA, XGA on Sim2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eyerish, Aug 29, 2002.

1. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would someone kindly explain to me what these are exactly (I know they are video/graphics with respect to resolution). On the Sim2 HT250, it states XGA 1264x768 give or take a few dozen pixels, but yet this projector is cheaper (but not by much) than the HT200DMF which sports 848x460 or so pixel res. in 16:9 mode. Why is this, and of what benefit is it to have XGA etc.
    I`ve fixed my mind on the Sim2 but am open to suggestions re: other suitable projectors up to the £6500 mark. I`ll be using the Denon 2800MKII to oil it`s lttle colour segment wheel. But who knows, maybe I`ll consider HTPC in the future if I can figure out the low down on resolutions.
    Hope to hear from someone soon `cause I`m gettin` fed up dreamin` about the projector;-)

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VGA is 640x480 pixels
    SVGA 800x600
    XGA 1024x768

I believe (owners please correct if this is wrong!) that the 200DMF is 848x480 and effecivly uses a svga panel with a few extra pixels horizontally and some masking to get a 16:9 ratio panel. Also with the DMF you are paying extra for the faroudja processing built in.

The 250 has a higher resolution panel, but is not 16:9 obviously which means using a panamorph style lens to use the full res, or to put up with light overspill in the black bars. You would get a better horizontal resolution though.

Best to mug your bank manager and go for the 300 which runs at WXGA (1280x720?) and has the processing along with other handy things overall ;)

HTH

3. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Big Jim. That clarifies it for me....I have considered the 300, it`s a beauty and I can only imagine what it can do for movies. I`m playing with a budget that would allow me to get it at the expense of new amp. + DVD player. Already secured a good deal on a firehawk screen though, but I think I`ll have to mug the missus, not the Bank manager.

4. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I could never get the 200DM to 'sing' with a HTPC input. On the VGA input it only really runs adequately on the 800x600 mode. This projector was made to run best with a progressive component input. Your 2800 MkII should run very well with it (so long as it doesn't have any artifacts..see elsewhere)

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Eyerish,
    You can have £9000 worth of brand new HT300 for £6,500. Just look at the For Sale section in this very forum!!

It comes from a very reputable source. No catches.

If you have already seen the 300 then you know how good it is. This is too much of a bargain to miss.

Regards

6. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had forgotten about Chris' one. At that price it really is a no brainer. I looked and was seriously tempted, then remembered I need a new bathroom and car!:(

7. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the tip chris, i`m going to have a search for it now,,,will let you know how it goes,,,sounds too good though!!!