Re veneering my speakers...

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
My current speakers are AVI Trios. A genuinely excellent three way passive that will take some serious cash that I don’t yet have to better.

But they are a timber finish. Cherry to be precise. And I’m sick of looking at the old fashioned hideous finish.

So I’d like to re-veneer them. I’ve decided on a much more modern grey wood finish similar to the original finish of the Dynaudio Special 40s.

The Trios are a square edged box so there’s nothing intricate about the job, but I’ve not done it before.

If anyone has re-veneered a pair of speakers I’d be pleased for any insights and tips you can send my way.

Thank you.

Ps, I’m more than happy with the gloss finishing, I’ve done some good jobs over the years with that.

Following, as this is probably my next job on my Mackie HR824. Lots of YouTube videos on this. The Saraifo range of veneers look interesting, this may do the job (different sizes available and a uk supplier is available through eBay)-

Everything I have read so far says go slow and careful and if varnishing (as oppesd to oiling) many thin coats rubbed down in between is the way to go. For trimming there is equal love for craft knife and trim router followed by very light sanding.

That’s exhausted my knowledge but I have a spare cabinet to test out on after the summer.

This is funky -

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Following, as this is probably my next job on my Mackie HR824. Lots of YouTube videos on this. The Saraifo range of veneers look interesting, this may do the job (different sizes available and a uk supplier is available through eBay)-

Everything I have read so far says go slow and careful and if varnishing (as oppesd to oiling) many thin coats rubbed down in between is the way to go. For trimming there is equal love for craft knife and trim router followed by very light sanding.

That’s exhausted my knowledge but I have a spare cabinet to test out on after the summer.

This is funky -

Cheers. I’ll get through those on the morning.

The last one is bizarre. I think it might give me a migraine.

Gives me a good start👍

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Decided against the veneering.

For the mo’ I’ll have to be content with a paint job.

Satin black. Two coats of satin varnish tomorrow then 48 hours to dry and lob the drivers back in on Saturday.

50276760-1AD3-486D-9878-D8783B9FD96B.jpeg

Bugger!

A reaction has occurred between the paint and the filler I used to get rid of the old fashioned grill gromit holes. 🧐

So, a dig out was necessary and a refill with a sealant coat.

Looks ok for now, if they dry ok after 24 hours I’ll not set them alight.

Alas, I’m now down to Tuesday for the driver return.

I’ve had that before between two different types of paint, especially if the undercoat is not fully dry or between layers of top coat if you try repainting between the prescribed 20 mins and 24hr period I.e. after the tacky phase but before the fully cured phase.

Good luck sorting it out.

I’ve got a week of in a bit so may tackle veneering my Mackies and spray painting the front panel to replace the vinyl covering. Surprisingly the veneer will only be £35 for both with a bit left over. Should have the job done for £50.

I’ve had that before between two different types of paint, especially if the undercoat is not fully dry or between layers of top coat if you try repainting between the prescribed 20 mins and 24hr period I.e. after the tacky phase but before the fully cured phase.

Good luck sorting it out.

I’ve got a week of in a bit so may tackle veneering my Mackies and spray painting the front panel to replace the vinyl covering. Surprisingly the veneer will only be £35 for both with a bit left over. Should have the job done for £50.

Yeh, I should have known better than to expect Murphy’s law to not show its head.

A cunning plan with the Mackies sir. Are you planning on making them look more domestic than pro? Or do you just fancy a change?

Yep, bit more domestic, planning on walnut veneer on the sides, keeping the black driver frames and painting the front baffle with car paint, maybe a dark metallic bronze black or just plain metallic black. Whilst I am at it I’ll give the gain pots a clean and the amps a once over. I have a spare speaker so will transfer innards over relay style. Unsure on how to finish the veneer, poly varnish, epoxy resin or tung oil, may make up some test pieces and see which I like.

Yep, bit more domestic, planning on walnut veneer on the sides, keeping the black driver frames and painting the front baffle with car paint, maybe a dark metallic bronze black or just plain metallic black. Whilst I am at it I’ll give the gain pots a clean and the amps a once over. I have a spare speaker so will transfer innards over relay style. Unsure on how to finish the veneer, poly varnish, epoxy resin or tung oil, may make up some test pieces and see which I like.

Sounds like a bit of a job. I admire your patience and willingness sir.

I think they may look pretty impressive with the metallic black.

I had wanted to do my Trios metallic black, but the acreage of the beasts precluded spraying them at home.

Luckily mine will only be the front baffle so a light skin of filler or high build primer, sand / prime repeat and the three or four coats of top coat should do it, will take a sample of the walnut with the chosen finish down to halfrauds to choose the spray.

Yours are still looking good though and satin black is always a good choice.

What 3m about car vinyl film?

That was the original plan. 👍 some grey timber effect.

Then I thought veneering would be the more professional looking job.

Then I thought bugger it. I’ll paint them.

Cheaper and easier.

Also, I’ll be changing house and decor shortly so I’ll get back to the veneering when that’s all dealt with.

Luckily mine will only be the front baffle so a light skin of filler or high build primer, sand / prime repeat and the three or four coats of top coat should do it, will take a sample of the walnut with the chosen finish down to halfrauds to choose the spray.

Yours are still looking good though and satin black is always a good choice.

I’d certainly have considered the metallic spray approach if I had a garage and an appropriate air gun ensemble. I love the look of a really deep, multi coat and polish metallic lacquer job.

If it turns out that my new pad allows such a finish I may even have them done by a car painter I know.

In the meantime Satin black, as you say, is always effective.

And anything was better than the Cherrywood.

There are hundreds of car paints. Hard to choose.

I hope you do a photo shoot of it all 👍

I have eventually finished painting my speakers. 🥳🍻🥳

New gaskets went in today and the drivers have now been re-soldered and bolted in.

I’ll be setting them up and tomorrow and re RPing them.

Many thanks to Ugg10 for the kick up the arse 👍

A0E6D312-94B6-4CE7-87DD-C2B63EF6926A.jpeg

Last edited:
Good job, enjoy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom