Re-use speakers on the Sony DAVS800 ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by super-saint, Jan 3, 2007.

1. super-saint

super-saint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My DAVS800 player is now showing it's age & becoming unreliable but dont want to get rid of speakers. I know they have different connectors so will will have trouble using in another receiver BUT can the connectors be rewired for something that is compatible ?

Cheers

2. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I reuse mine as my DAVS800 was getting unstable ! Though I got a new subwoofer as my amp Denon 1906 does not support passive subwoofers.
    I just cut the connectors. In fact I replace the speaker wire eventually.

If you want another woofer for symmetry check out my for sale thread :)

3. Treelo

Treelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same issue but with a twist. I have just purchased a Sony KDL-W2000 tv and realise that i now need to get a decent upscaling DVD player too. The DVD in the DAVS800 unit is almost dead. But, due to finances, I would like to temporarily use the amp section of the DVD unit (and the speakers) until such a time as I can afford to upgrade everything.

So, can I simply buy another DVD player, hook it into the DAVS 880 player's amplifier and retain the speakers that way?

If so, given the connectivity limitations of the newer LCD tvs, what connection process would you recommend. If you wish to recommend a DVD player to hook up too, I would be indebted. :smashin:

4. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Probably best to ask in the DVD forum but get a new DVD with HDMI and optical out. Put the HDMI direct to the TV and optical to the amp.
    Denon DVD players are good.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,261
    The scaler in the Sony TV is pretty good. There is no promise that spending on an upscaling player will improve your image. Why do you feel you "need" an upscaling player?

6. Treelo

Treelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks for that. I'll have a search for a DVD unit that has the connectivity you describe. Cheers.

7. Treelo

Treelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, as the DVD in the DAVS800 is on the way out, I presumed (perhaps wrongly?) that as I need a replacement and in order to get the optimum image quality, the new generation upscaling models were the way to go. For example, I went into Sainsburys today to get my lunch and saw a Phillips DVD player at £69.99, hdmi connector (not sure on optical too) etc. The standard Sony DVD player (non-upscaling) was £20 less next to it on the shelf, so for the price difference, assuming better quality, it would seem sensible. Do I not need a DVD player capable of shifting the image to 1080p to get the best out of the TV?

I apologise if I am wrong, I confess to being a mere novice in this area.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,261
    OK. Just so you're clear.....

The signal coming off a standard DVD disc is 720x576 (European/Australian disc) or 720 x 480 (US, Japan).

The W2000 TV needs 1920 x 1080 pixels to fill the screen.

The original signal, therefore, HAS to be upscaled (and, deinterlaced). The TV will do this for itself whenever it is presented with a signal which isn't 1920x1080. It has to.

So, the only thing to be gained by using an upscaling DVD player would be if the scaler in the DVD player is better than the one in the TV.

Now, it's quite possible to better the scaler in such a TV. A standalone device, costing perhaps as much as the TV, will do a very, very good job. But, as I say, this particular TV's scaler is quite good, and is probably as good or better than the one you might find in a cheap DVD player.

9. Treelo

Treelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am clear and wouldn't have been had you not took the trouble to help. I do appreciate it - cheers LV.